• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Exposure to light?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Poll: Can Ants get used to light? (18 member(s) have cast votes)

Can Ants get used to light?

1. Yes (18 votes [100.00%])

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

2. No (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Other (Explain in comments) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Offline MiaRose - Posted December 14 2016 - 12:15 AM

MiaRose

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

So I have heard mixed things about keeping ants in the light...some say they get used to it, others say it's just outright better to keep them in the dark...

What's the general consensus? Can ants get used to the light or are they better off in the dark?

Currently Colonies:

Lasius Niger

Lasius Flavus

#2 Offline drtrmiller - Posted December 14 2016 - 1:14 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
Aversion to light is a conditioned response to ant nests always being dark.

While queens will have originated from a wild colony, and so will always feel more comfortable in darkness, workers reared in captivity with some ambient lighting will be be less averse to changes in lighting conditions.

If you keep your ants in the dark all the time, they'll be alarmed when you shine light on them to observe them. Conversely, if you constantly expose your ants to some artificial lighting, shining a light on them will create less of a disturbance.

Some species of ants may be more or less tolerant or adaptable to light exposure than others. Wild caught colonies take the longest time to recondition.

Edited by drtrmiller, December 14 2016 - 1:28 AM.

• T.C. and MiaRose like this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#3 Offline Serafine - Posted December 14 2016 - 4:59 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

I've read from several sources that ant brood develops faster and better in darkness.

• MiaRose likes this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#4 Offline AntsMAN - Posted December 14 2016 - 7:28 AM

AntsMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

I keep all my ant colonies in a semi lit room 24/7, and they all seem fine.The only colony I find highly sensitive is my Formica sp. but they are scared or everything. Camponotus seem to be the least concerned.

Edited by AntsMAN, December 14 2016 - 7:32 AM.

• MiaRose likes this

Current queens/colonies

Camponotus novaeboracensis x2

Camponotus pennsylvanicus x2

Camponotus herculeanus x1

Formica sp. x1

Lasius americanus x1  (Lasius alienus)

Lasius neoniger x1

Crematogastor cerasi x1

Myrmica sp. x1

#5 Offline Saftron - Posted December 14 2016 - 7:36 AM

Saftron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationFremont, California
I keep my Tetramorium and Aphaenogaster in day light until the sun goes down. They don't mind, they do mind bright lights like flashlights though.
  • MiaRose likes this

#6 Offline noebl1 - Posted December 14 2016 - 9:45 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

I've read one disadvantage of them being used to the light is they could end up nesting in locations you may not want; outworlds, tubing, etc.  

#7 Offline drtrmiller - Posted December 14 2016 - 9:46 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I've read from several sources that ant brood develops faster and better in darkness.

I'd have to see the sources, but I can think of no reason this would be the case except for a colony which is not well-adjusted, in which case stress would be the factor, not an effect of the light on the brood itself.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#8 Offline noebl1 - Posted December 14 2016 - 10:01 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

I'd have to see the sources, but I can think of no reason this would be the case except for a colony which is not well-adjusted, in which case stress would be the factor, not an effect of the light on the brood itself.

Scientific papers: No.  Mostly comments from people experiencing on forums; but your point is well taken about other factors.  It does seem that it could negate being able to use light as a method of trying to get them to move out of an undesired location.

#9 Offline AntsMAN - Posted December 14 2016 - 10:08 AM

AntsMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

My understanding was the heat from the light is what gets them to move, no so much the light it's self.

Current queens/colonies

Camponotus novaeboracensis x2

Camponotus pennsylvanicus x2

Camponotus herculeanus x1

Formica sp. x1

Lasius americanus x1  (Lasius alienus)

Lasius neoniger x1

Crematogastor cerasi x1

Myrmica sp. x1

#10 Offline drtrmiller - Posted December 14 2016 - 10:13 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

The intensity of lighting and other factors, among which are temperature, relative humidity, safety from disturbances such as wind, rain, and predators, and proximity to water and food are evaluated by ants when choosing a nesting location.  For example, ants may establish their nest on a liquid feeder filled with water if their intended formicarium nesting area becomes unfavorably dry, regardless of lighting or other factors.

If you imagine a sterile setup where all things are equal, with a designated foraging area and nest on opposite sides, then keeping the foraging area side relatively brighter will generally cause the ants to prefer the other side as their nest.  Lighting is all about relativity, and if the baseline ambient lighting is at a comfortable level for viewing, then the ants will be less disturbed by small changes.  If the baseline is complete darkness, then even small changes to our perception of visible lighting will have a profound impact on the ants' natural alarm response to an intrusion.

My understanding was the heat from the light is what gets them to move, no so much the light it's self.

It is a combination of visible light, UV light, and excessive heat which produces an alarm response and emergency nest relocation.  The ants can sense all these things, and have evolved to avoid them when seeking shelter.

• LC3, noebl1 and T.C. like this

#11 Offline 1000101011 - Posted December 14 2016 - 11:51 AM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

so a bit off light is ok or even beneficial as long as it isn't collapsing-star kinda bright .

#12 Offline Mdrogun - Posted December 14 2016 - 2:09 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

For me, I would make a decision on whether or not to try to acclimate your ants to light on a case to case basis. Something like Camponotus or Tetramorium which are generally quite easy to raise and not too sensitive would be fine. If you're trying to raise a Pseudomyrmex queen then i would definitely recommend you don't try to acclimate her to light since these are notoriously sensitive and difficult.

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users