• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Temnothorax sp - my FIRST colony

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline SamKeepsAnts - Posted December 10 2016 - 12:52 PM

SamKeepsAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationSoCal

I was out today and I saw some temnothorax workers and found the acorn they lived in.This is my first colony and right now I'm housing them in a tha fortress formicarium outworld. will update with pics soon any basic tips on keeping temnothorax and can a mature colony live in a atom nest from tha?

Owner of :

7 Founding Brachymyrmex Patagonicus queens

#2 Offline noebl1 - Posted December 10 2016 - 7:05 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

I have a Temnothorax queen and some nanitics. They eat pretty readily, but noticed they were very very resistant to relocating when water in their tube ran out.  I had attached them to a tiny outworld (3x3") with a fresh test tube for water.  However 1/2 the nanitics ended up dying as they refused to leave the original tube to forage for water.  I realized this too late (happened very fast), but before hibernation I removed them from their outworld connection and connected the tubes directly.   I'm not sure about SoCal since it's so much warmer, but read up here in the Northeast, very often a good portion of the colony freezes and dies in the winter, so they can rebound (we'll see this Spring.)

Mine seemed to eat pretty much anything I gave them; honey water, Byformica ant nectar, and even chicken scraps.

Edited by noebl1, December 10 2016 - 7:18 PM.

#3 Offline Leo - Posted December 10 2016 - 7:16 PM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

ninitics?

#4 Offline noebl1 - Posted December 10 2016 - 7:19 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

ninitics?

Thanks, sorry a bit tired and typoed it... twice :-P

#5 Offline Leo - Posted December 10 2016 - 10:30 PM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

its ok

#6 Offline Foogoo - Posted December 10 2016 - 11:10 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

That's pretty amazing you noticed them considering how tiny the workers are. Whereabouts in Socal?

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users