• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Assistance in moving a queen?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Martialis - Posted December 4 2016 - 8:59 AM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

My crematogaster queen finally laid eggs, but there is mold on the cotton in her test tube. Any ideas on how to move her? I've had her since September, she's been moved once before. I don't want to disturb her, as i'm pretty sure that's the reason why she just recently laid eggs, probably sometime in November. Ideas?

Spoiler

#2 Offline Salmon - Posted December 4 2016 - 9:05 AM

Salmon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationMass, USA
She should be fine. The stress caused by moving her would probably be worse than the mold.
  • Martialis likes this

#3 Offline Martialis - Posted December 4 2016 - 9:17 AM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Okay, thanks. I got conflicting advice from you and annexis.. Not sure what to do right now.

Spoiler

#4 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted December 4 2016 - 9:41 AM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

Okay, thanks. I got conflicting advice from you and annexis.. Not sure what to do right now.

Leave her. The mold will not harm the ants unless it's a harmful one. My Aphaenogaster fulva had so much mold that I couldn't see them and they were fine for 4 month

YJK

#5 Offline Mdrogun - Posted December 4 2016 - 10:03 AM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

The mold will not harm the ants unless it's a harmful one. 

What does this mean?

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#6 Offline FSTP - Posted December 4 2016 - 10:44 AM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

What does this mean?

It means they won't get killed unless they die.

#7 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted December 4 2016 - 11:28 AM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

What does this mean?
There are different species of mold and some are harmful to ants and some are not

YJK

#8 Offline Okeedoke22 - Posted December 4 2016 - 7:43 PM

Okeedoke22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationNew York City
I have the same problem. Plus my Crematogaster are ready for hibernation but I have been holding off. They are very low on water and black mold on cotton.

While some mold will not harm ants others can and will. The biggest problem is finding out which mold it is.

I have noticed my Crematogaster stay off cotton. It's black mold and they usually are a few inches away.

My Tertramorium have a brownish/red mold and they hang out on it all the time.

Not sure what to do either so sorry I can't help. I have tried to get my ants to move with light but they haven't budged.

Prenolepis Imparis

Tetramorium Sp. E

Crematogaster
Brachymyrmex Sp.

Lasius Claviger 

#9 Offline Antfollower - Posted December 7 2016 - 6:42 PM

Antfollower

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

I feel any mold growing in formicia should be considered negative, and cause for concern.  I've only witnessed bad things with mold in those conditions.  The conditions wouldn't cater to benefitial microbes, which would mean its a result of some type of contamination.  I've only had positive results by force moving queens and brood with piano wire, or cotton.  My advice is very carefully get them in something fresh.  

Edited by Antfollower, December 7 2016 - 6:43 PM.

#10 Offline Serafine - Posted December 8 2016 - 2:54 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Put the tube into a small container and place a second tube right next to it, remove the front cotton from both tubes (or even better put a large drinking straw (McDonalds has good ones) through the cotton that is large enough for your queen to pass and connect both tubes that way, that way you won't even need a container) and wait. If they feel the mold is bad they will move into the new tube on their own.

Edited by Serafine, December 8 2016 - 2:55 AM.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#11 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted December 8 2016 - 10:26 AM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

Put the tube into a small container and place a second tube right next to it, remove the front cotton from both tubes (or even better put a large drinking straw (McDonalds has good ones) through the cotton that is large enough for your queen to pass and connect both tubes that way, that way you won't even need a container) and wait. If they feel the mold is bad they will move into the new tube on their own.

that's the best way to do it, because like Serafine said, if it's bad, she'll go to the new tube on her own.

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users