• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

New Wannabe Keepers in Illinois

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Phenex - Posted December 4 2016 - 10:49 PM

Phenex

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Hi All,

The impetus for joining is my son.  He is enamored of the YouTube videos showing ant colonies.  He has been wanting to start a colony, but I have told him "No" until he has researched and understands what it takes to be a successful keeper.  He has clearly been well educated using Google, but there is no substitute for being able to chat and discuss with people who are not only passionate, but knowledgeable on a topic. It is why we signed up here.  We are hopeful the group here can help us if we need advice.

Lest you think he is alone, I too have partaken of the "Google" fruit and I think starting and growing a colony would be a good project for us.

The biggest hurdle we have facing us right now is where to get a queen.  Being from sunny Illinois, I have not seen a lot of queens or colonies for sale.  I am thinking we may have to wait until next year and try and catch a queen when the weather and conditions are right.  I know my son would certainly would like to hear a contrary opinion to that.

Sorry for the long and wordy intro.  We look forward to being a part of the community!

John

• ctantkeeper likes this

#2 Offline SirAnticus - Posted December 4 2016 - 10:59 PM

SirAnticus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Hi, welcome from SoCal. Your probably too late in the anting season and unlikely too find something. Use the winter wisely to research local species and their care. However there maybe some Illinois members here willing to sell you a colony, but I can't remember any off the top of my head. When you do start a colony, be sure to start a journal so we can all see your progress. Goodnight

• T.C. likes this

#3 Offline Phenex - Posted December 4 2016 - 11:50 PM

Phenex

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Thanks!

I agree with you about it being too late in the season.  Unfortunately, my assistant has patience in line with his age. 

We'll continue our research and keep our fingers crossed we have success come next year's season.

We'll be sure to keep a journal with photos so we can share.

#4 Offline AntsMAN - Posted December 5 2016 - 4:28 AM

AntsMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Check out the GAN project at ants Canada, you may be able to find a seller near you.

Ask away John this forum is really knowledgeable, and eager to answer all your questions.

http://www.antscanad...-ants-for-sale/

Current queens/colonies

Camponotus novaeboracensis x2

Camponotus pennsylvanicus x2

Camponotus herculeanus x1

Formica sp. x1

Lasius americanus x1  (Lasius alienus)

Lasius neoniger x1

Crematogastor cerasi x1

Myrmica sp. x1

#5 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted December 5 2016 - 5:40 AM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado
Welcome!

YJK

#6 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted December 5 2016 - 8:06 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Patience is one of the rewards for keeping ants. So much of their survival in captivity is dependent upon our patience and carefulness. They are a lot like houseplants; we need to make sure they always have access to water and proper nutrition, we need to move them to bigger containers after they grow large, and we need to give them a lot of peace in the meanwhile.

I feel like going through the founding process with your first queen is not only necessary to learning some of the proper care of that colony for the rest of its life, but is also one of the most dramatic and pleasing experiences of keeping ants.

Edited by Batspiderfish, December 5 2016 - 8:07 AM.

• LC3 likes this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users