• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Wild Camponotus Myrmentoma (?) hibernating Pics

formica hibernation wild

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Offline noebl1 - Posted December 3 2016 - 12:00 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

While debugging a failed camera outside, I noticed some remains of some ants inside one of the camera boxes (they are harmless to it), as it's not well sealed as really just to keep cable connections dry, but not humidity proof.  In the past I had noticed I believe may be Camponotus Myrmentoma ants had gotten into what was supposed to be a weatherproof and sealed Verizon POTS box outside, but after opening it a couple years ago, being mobbed by ants, realized that wasn't the case.  

While out there today, for curiosity sake I checked on one of the older boxes I used to use for Analog CCTV cameras.  NEMA Box is supposed to be weatherproof with it's door, seals very tightly, only two holes I used water proof cable glands, *and* had sealed the tops around the cables with duct seal.  Obviously (based on not just the ants, but a bit of condensation on the top), the seal on the right CCTV cable isn't so good due to it's shape, and ants apparently not deterred by the duct seal, dug a tunnel thru it.  Prior to the ants, never any condensation in there as was well sealed, and none of the mold obviously from their living there.

IMG 20161203 131538

IMG 20161203 131602

Nature will find a way :)

EDIT:  Original ID of Formica may be incorrect.

Edited by noebl1, December 22 2016 - 8:37 AM.

• Reacker likes this

#2 Offline Saftron - Posted December 3 2016 - 12:05 PM

Saftron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationFremont, California

Any queen?

#3 Offline noebl1 - Posted December 3 2016 - 12:17 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts

Not that I could immediately see, but they were packed together with multiple layers and pretty close with some larvae.  I've attempted in the past trying to raise an existing founding colony (just a queen and a few workers) I had found and it went terribly, so probably leave these guys alone until Spring, then evict them when it warms up.

Edited by noebl1, December 3 2016 - 12:21 PM.

#4 Offline FSTP - Posted December 3 2016 - 2:24 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

I would have sucked them all up, and popped them in my fridge...lol.

• T.C. likes this

#5 Offline Leo - Posted December 4 2016 - 5:20 AM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

haha

#6 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted December 4 2016 - 6:01 AM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

I would have sucked them all up, and popped them in my fridge...lol.

Same XD

Edited by Alabama Anter, December 4 2016 - 6:02 AM.

YJK

#7 Online AnthonyP163 - Posted December 6 2016 - 6:51 AM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.
Catching them would be awesome :)

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#8 Offline OTHER - Posted December 6 2016 - 7:20 AM

OTHER

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

I should check for a queen, now is the right time to capture them! Or the cold kills them, or they will be gone before summer :D

Nice find tough! (y)

Check out my Youtube channel Here

Please like our Facebook!

#9 Offline noebl1 - Posted December 21 2016 - 7:28 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts

Ants are pretty impressive.  Checked on them today after it was -4F on Friday, in an uninsulated and unheated box sitting 4' above the ground on a telephone pole, and all but one was alive.

#10 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted December 21 2016 - 7:28 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Glycerin is good stuff.

• noebl1 likes this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#11 Offline MrILoveTheAnts - Posted December 21 2016 - 7:45 PM

MrILoveTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Sure they're not Camponotus? It's hard to tell and I've never known Formica to do this.

• LC3 likes this

#12 Offline noebl1 - Posted December 21 2016 - 7:47 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts

Sure they're not Camponotus? It's hard to tell and I've never known Formica to do this.

Maybe, I'll see if I can take some close ups.  Maybe a Camponotus Myrmentoma subgenus?  They are smaller than typical Carpenter ants.  

EDIT:  I'll get a good photo ID and update the thread title based on results.

Edited by noebl1, December 21 2016 - 7:54 PM.

#13 Offline MrILoveTheAnts - Posted December 21 2016 - 8:00 PM

MrILoveTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Maybe, I'll see if I can take some close ups.  Maybe a Camponotus Myrmentoma subgenus?  They are smaller than typical Carpenter ants.  

EDIT:  I'll get a good photo ID and update the thread title based on results.

Yes that's what I'm thinking. They tend to have colonies that size too. Should be easy to collect if you want them. Just slide a sheet of paper and an index card to scoop them up and try not getting electrocuted.

• T.C. likes this

#14 Offline noebl1 - Posted December 21 2016 - 8:11 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts

Yes that's what I'm thinking. They tend to have colonies that size too. Should be easy to collect if you want them. Just slide a sheet of paper and an index card to scoop them up and try not getting electrocuted.

That could be a good call now that I am thinking about it.  About 50' away a Camponotus Myrmentoma of some sort colony established itself in the top of one of the driveway lights.  During the summer as I was out looking for alates, they were hunting what was attracted to the lights as well...  pretty cool to watch.  Like the spiders, they had noticed the abundance of food attracted to the the lights, and would wait for prey under the light overhang.

I also noticed (what you can kind of make out), piles of early stage larvae underneath the ants.  There was no eggs or pupae visible from what I can tell.  They were in pretty deep hibernation today as didn't even budge when I opened the box to watch them (~40F when I was out there).  Guess it also means no excuses for getting bad pictures as they aren't moving.

No power in there, it's dead at the moment as retired the analog cameras and went all PoE IP cameras. :)  I could take the box off, but this feeling "some day I might need it", so it remains.

I don't mind being wrong and corrected; will definitely correct it for future people who find the link once IDed.

Edited by noebl1, December 21 2016 - 8:13 PM.

#15 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted December 21 2016 - 9:06 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

I was thinking the same thing when I first saw this, but for some reason I never took an extra close look at the pictures. I think I can see major/minor castes. They also have larvae with them, which is pretty damning.

Edited by Batspiderfish, December 21 2016 - 9:06 PM.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#16 Offline MrILoveTheAnts - Posted December 21 2016 - 9:15 PM

MrILoveTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Formica don't keep brood in winter so the Camponotus theory is looking strong.

• dermy, LC3 and T.C. like this

#17 Offline noebl1 - Posted December 22 2016 - 8:37 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts

I was thinking the same thing when I first saw this, but for some reason I never took an extra close look at the pictures. I think I can see major/minor castes. They also have larvae with them, which is pretty damning.

Yup, I think I could make out a couple different castes too, so pretty much Camponotus a sure bet over Formica :)  Also come to think about it, don't most Formica ants live in soil vs nest  in "trees"?   Using trees loosely here as it's a box on pole, but I know some Myrmentoma live in trees (branches) and such.  How embarrassing of a terrible mis-ID.

Edited by noebl1, December 22 2016 - 8:38 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: formica, hibernation, wild

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users