• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Keeping Earwigs

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Offline T.C. - Posted October 27 2016 - 6:15 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,063 posts

I just wanted to share this here, these are earwigs, they are super cool, mainly because they do lots of things others insects don't. I am working on a habitat for them as i collect them, but if their is too many in a tank they will practice cannibalism. They are easy to care for. Since i like to keep tons of insects, and this in a mainly ant forum, I created a forum for just all insects.   http://keepinginsect...reeforums.net/ I am always keeping something, caterpillars, earwigs, spiders, isopods which are another super cool insect by the way. The forum has been locked for a few days so I could do some stuff on it, so my apologies if anyone here had tried to register. Anyway check these guys out! Do a little research on them as well and you might find them as fascinating as me.

“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#2 Offline sgheaton - Posted October 27 2016 - 6:27 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Do a little research on some Legos and you might find them as fascinating as THE REST OF US!

• T.C. likes this

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#3 Offline T.C. - Posted October 27 2016 - 6:52 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,063 posts

Do a little research on some Legos and you might find them as fascinating as THE REST OF US!

haha, heaton, just give it up alright :D  At least I am not alone. 

http://theimpersonal...ly-truly-awful/

Edited by T.C., October 27 2016 - 7:55 AM.

#4 Offline T.C. - Posted October 27 2016 - 8:03 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,063 posts

They are also super fun to watch fight, especially when they are on the hunt. My camera isn't good enough to take good video but this you tube video gives you a good idea of what they look like when they are fighting. You can skip to 1:23 to save some time!

#5 Offline sgheaton - Posted October 27 2016 - 8:08 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

All I've got is bad memories of BBBBBBBZRRT Then flipping out from a bug being in my ear. 

Though that was pretty sweet watching that thing...butt-pincher that spider. The tactic of curling back around to grab it though..... HOLY CRAP A LEG WAS JUST RIPPED OFF! Damn nature, you scary. Then it just sits there and freaggin' power grubs! FACK! WOW..nope. that's...I need to go pet a cat now..

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#6 Offline T.C. - Posted October 27 2016 - 8:25 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,063 posts

Haha, you know it's cool, and didn't you say you already had a cat... haha :)

#7 Offline sgheaton - Posted October 27 2016 - 8:45 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Yeah. And I want to rush home and touch his soft fuzzy fur to wash away all the scary butt-death.

Hahahaha..I didn't have my headphone in the first time. The music really helps. 

Edited by sgheaton, October 27 2016 - 9:07 AM.

#8 Offline Canadian anter - Posted October 27 2016 - 5:12 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
I could catch hundreds of these in the summer. I just want to know what they eat how how you hibernate them
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#9 Offline T.C. - Posted October 27 2016 - 8:34 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,063 posts

You can feed them live insects and they will kill them with those little pinchers... fish flakes work too and just hibernate them out side in a garage or shed or something. I'll be making a journal on them in my forum, what i am going to be keeping them in, reproducing stuff and hibernation. I have about four so far, which one of is the only male. I am not sure when they reproduce, but in the spring I assume. I am going to look into it more as I go, and I'll keep updating the journal on my forum. The forum link is in my signature below!

Edited by T.C., October 28 2016 - 8:15 AM.

#10 Offline T.C. - Posted October 28 2016 - 7:41 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,063 posts

However I am still pondering on what to keep them in yet... I want something with good visibility and a place where I can see them laying eggs and taking care of it's babies.

Edited by T.C., October 28 2016 - 7:41 AM.

#11 Offline T.C. - Posted October 28 2016 - 11:02 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,063 posts

well, it looks nice, good visibility... What do you guys think?

#12 Offline sgheaton - Posted October 28 2016 - 11:29 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

what's your plan for heat/water? Lamp and manual additions?

#13 Offline T.C. - Posted October 28 2016 - 5:50 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,063 posts

I simply use a syringe to hydrate the sand, and these guys prefer cooler temperatures so it is really working out, They are active and eating.

#14 Offline SamKeepsAnts - Posted November 29 2016 - 9:24 PM

SamKeepsAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationSoCal

is that earwig in the vid just a normal earwig and where do you find them?

Owner of :

7 Founding Brachymyrmex Patagonicus queens

#15 Offline T.C. - Posted November 29 2016 - 10:03 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,063 posts

Yes, it just a normal earwig!  I have a journal on them here and a care sheet I had personally made. To find them, it's not hard. At night, go out and look near lights and on wooden objects such as wood piles, older wooden sheds, also do you have a wooden deck or porch with wooden railings? If you do, they can commonly be found were board meets board hiding inbetween the two boards.

Care sheet: http://insectandento...keeping-earwigs

Journnal: http://insectandento...-earwig-journal

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users