• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Hibernation - Feeding etc

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline MiaRose - Posted November 25 2016 - 5:48 AM

MiaRose

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

So I have a few questions about hibernation as there is a lot of helpful information about taking care of your ants while they are not hibernating but I can't find anything concrete for taking care of them while they are hibernating.

My Lasius Niger colony will be in a test tube (getting them next week, so they may be active)

How often (if at all) do you feed them? (Someone in a chat told me a drop of honey every 1-2 days) & what should I do when they first arrive if I want to put them straight into hibernation? 

Any other advice or tips for hibernation care?

Edited by MiaRose, November 25 2016 - 6:05 AM.

Currently Colonies:

Lasius Niger

Lasius Flavus

#2 Offline Saftron - Posted November 25 2016 - 8:32 AM

Saftron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationFremont, California

Feeding:

I would give them a drop of honey every 2-3 days and an insect twice a week. This way they have both food sources and will thrive. Make sure the insect is killed because for a small colony it may be tough to bring down an alive insect even an injured one. I would suggest giving a variety of foods because I have heard and seen myself that if you keep giving ants the same food over and over they will start to reject it.

Hibernation:

I would keep them next to a window for a couple of days for them to produce Glycerol (Helps them from freezing during hibernation) than once they have huddled together preferably in one spot I would put them somewhere where it's about 15 degrees Celcius or 59 degrees Fahrenheit.

Edited by Antkeeperxxx, November 25 2016 - 8:32 AM.

• MiaRose likes this

#3 Offline MiaRose - Posted November 25 2016 - 8:57 AM

MiaRose

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Feeding:

I would give them a drop of honey every 2-3 days and an insect twice a week. This way they have both food sources and will thrive. Make sure the insect is killed because for a small colony it may be tough to bring down an alive insect even an injured one. I would suggest giving a variety of foods because I have heard and seen myself that if you keep giving ants the same food over and over they will start to reject it.

Hibernation:

I would keep them next to a window for a couple of days for them to produce Glycerol (Helps them from freezing during hibernation) than once they have huddled together preferably in one spot I would put them somewhere where it's about 15 degrees Celcius or 59 degrees Fahrenheit.

Thanks for the advice...I read online in many places that they should be hibernated below 10 c? 

Currently Colonies:

Lasius Niger

Lasius Flavus

#4 Offline Saftron - Posted November 25 2016 - 9:04 AM

Saftron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationFremont, California

10 c is way too low. 

#5 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted November 25 2016 - 11:57 AM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

10 c is way too low.

No it's not

YJK

#6 Offline Antsinmycloset - Posted November 25 2016 - 12:43 PM

Antsinmycloset

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Just try to fatten them up with sugar water, and make sure they're READY for hibernation. It should be pretty obvious. You might double check with the person you bought them from if they've been went into hibernation before, and if so, when. You might be surprised by the answer.

Concerning feeding during hibernation, I'm not sure if there are any rules, but a lot of people leave sugar water accessible in their large (50+) colonies. With smaller colonies, a lot of people just don't feed them. I believe the guy from Tar Heels brings his colonies out of hibernation once every 30 days or so for a day and lets them feast sugar, then puts them back in, repeating as necessary.

Ants hibernating, or preparing to hibernate, usually don't need protein, but may store it inside the colony. This can become a mold problem, so keep a close eye on the protein. It's better to feed small piece often than have a huge chunk rotting in the test tube.

#7 Offline Diesel - Posted November 27 2016 - 2:57 PM

Diesel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationSouthern Maine
I don't understand how any temps below 0 degrees F are too low. We regularly have temps drop below zero and colonies thrive the following year.

Ant Species kept

Temnothorax Longispinosus.-Journal(discontinued)-(formerly)

Camponotus Noveboracensis (formerly)

Camponotus Nearticus-formerly

Tetramorium sp.-formerly

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus Queen & brood.-formerly

Tapinoma Sessile-Journal (3 queen colony)-formerly

​Tapinoma  Sessile #2 (2 queen colony)-formerly

Aphaenogaster Picea-Journal-active

Crematogaster sp.(Cerasi or Lineolata) Queen with 3 workers and brood-formerly

​Crematogaster sp. #2 (Cerasi or Lineolata) Queen with brood-formerly

Formica sp. polygenus-active 300+ workers-active

Formica Subsericea-active 25+ workers-active

Myrmica Rubra 400+ workers 3 queens-active

#8 Offline benjiwuf - Posted November 27 2016 - 5:27 PM

benjiwuf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • LocationGroßröhrsdorf Germany
The ground temperature in most places at ant nest depths do not typically drop to freezing temperatures. Ants tend to dig quite deep to reach that barrier in the wild hence why it's often suggested not to let ants freeze during hibernation. However other species that nest above ground would freeze in the winter.

All in all its more of a safety precaution.
  • LC3 likes this

#9 Offline noebl1 - Posted November 27 2016 - 5:53 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

The ground temperature in most places at ant nest depths do not typically drop to freezing temperatures. Ants tend to dig quite deep to reach that barrier in the wild hence why it's often suggested not to let ants freeze during hibernation. However other species that nest above ground would freeze in the winter.

All in all its more of a safety precaution.

This makes a lot of sense to me... I know certain species like Camponotus that live in rotten trees/above ground and Temnothorax above ground often in acorns, do indeed experience freezing temps, however I believe produce glycerol or similar so they don't actual freeze (couple good Google searches help support this, but I am not an expert.)  Lasius however I would think would be used to warmer temps as can burrow fairly deep.  I thought I remember reading from someone on this forum with a backhoe tried to reach the bottom of a Lasius colony and couldn't.

Edited by noebl1, November 27 2016 - 5:54 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users