• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Should I hibernate my Tetra's?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Saftron - Posted November 24 2016 - 4:43 PM

Saftron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationFremont, California

So I have been having a hard time deciding if I Should or Should Not hibernate my Tetramorium Caespitum colony. They are a pretty healthy colony. I've had them for 5 months and they are about to hit 55 workers (all still nanitics). I have seen an increase of workers foraging the last couple of weeks so I've been giving them more food. (Also I've been heating them for about 4 months) They have about 20-25 larvae and the queen laid a new batch of eggs on Saturday. I have heard that you shouldn't hibernate your ants if they have larvae or eggs. When I first caught my queen her gaster was all black, but now she looks "fatter" and now she has honey colored "rings" on her gaster. I was told it was so she could fatten up for hibernation but I do not know if this is true. Please post your opinion on whether or not I should or should not hibernate my Tetra's. Until I decide I will keep them unheated.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I should hibernate my ants what temperature should I keep them at and where should I put them to hibernate?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: The inside of my fridge is about 4.4 Celsius / 35-40 degrees Fahrenheit

My garage is about 40-50 degrees Fahrenheit during the winter.

Edited by Antkeeperxxx, November 24 2016 - 4:59 PM.

#2 Offline Kevin - Posted November 24 2016 - 4:44 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

Yes, by now the colony should be in hibernation whether there is larve or not.

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#3 Offline Serafine - Posted November 24 2016 - 5:42 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

5°C is too cold, they should not get colder than 10°C, 15°C would be perfect.

Also most ants can afford to miss a year of hibernation (as long as you don't skip it twice they won't have any serious issues), especially if it is their first year and they show no signs of reducing activity. Generally it is better to hibernate them but if they are really active and have tons of brood in various stages you could as well wait a bit longer. Tetramorium only take about a month from egg to worker, also maybe the clock of yours is ticking slightly behind and they will start to show reduced activity in a few weeks.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#4 Offline MichiganAnts - Posted November 24 2016 - 8:20 PM

MichiganAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • LocationMichigan

you can hibernate but you shouldn't if you have pupea that are about to eclose. larvae and eggs can be hibernated

Owner of MichiganAnts, a YouTube Channel dedicated to all my Michigan colonies found and raise in my backyard

https://www.youtube.com/MichiganAnts

https://twitter.com/MichiganAnts

https://www.facebook.com/MichiganAnts/

Keeper of:

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus

Camponotus Noveboracensis

Tetramorium

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users