• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

100% Ant-proof 10 Gallon Aquarium Lid Prototypes (Returning Soon)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

#1 Offline drtrmiller - Posted November 18 2016 - 7:17 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

The product is now available for order (see below).  

In case you don't remember, this is the lid I'm talking about:

(bottom view, ants drinking liquid through mesh screen, no Fluon barrier present)

Size: 491 x 242 mm (19 5/16 x 9 1/2 inches)

It is laser cut, but I made a measurement mistake way back when I had them made, so I had to take off a few mm of material from one of the short and long sides to ensure the lid would fit into the aquarium frame. As a result of these being prototypes, I'm selling them at a slight discount.

• Laser-cut acrylic lid fits most 20x10 inch, 10-gallon aquariums
  • Three, zero-gap inset lids with anodized aluminum handles elegantly prevent escape of small insects
  • User replaceable 250 micron polypropylene (PP) mesh screen is durable and rust-proof
  • 3M 468MP transfer tape strips included for permanent mounting to inside of aquarium rim, no silicone or other adhesives required
  • Apply Fluon insect-slip (sold separately) to bottom of lid to prevent insects from obtaining footing and escaping when opened

Overview: This acrylic lid rests on the inside rim of most standard 10-gallon glass aquariums (20x10x12 inch spec). Exact size of lid is 491 x 242 mm (19 5/16 x 9 1/2 inches).

Laser cut from cast acrylic material for superior clarity, three inset lids rest on a main under-lid. A barrier agent such as Fluon (sold separately) may be applied to the underside of the under-lid to prevent crawling organisms such as insects from obtaining footing on the underside of the lid.

Instructions for use:

Click here to view installation instructions

Please CONTACT US if you need any help installing, and we'll be more than happy to assist.

Edited by drtrmiller, December 2 2016 - 3:07 PM.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#2 Offline sgheaton - Posted November 18 2016 - 7:54 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

....I think I've got a 20 gal though I don't recall. However it could be a 20 tall so that the size is the same, just taller. Not 100% and I didn't take good enough notes. 
Can I sign myself up for one if it fits? 

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#3 Offline Loops117 - Posted November 18 2016 - 8:22 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan

i am interested in these. I need one.

Maybe 2 depending on price.

Edited by Loops117, November 18 2016 - 8:22 AM.

#4 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted November 18 2016 - 8:51 AM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado
I need one as well!!! How much?

YJK

#5 Offline drtrmiller - Posted November 21 2016 - 7:24 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I have added more details to the first post, above.

The product is now available for order.

Size: 491 x 242 mm (19 5/16 x 9 1/2 inches)

Edited by drtrmiller, November 28 2016 - 2:05 PM.

• noebl1 and Boog like this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#6 Offline drtrmiller - Posted November 23 2016 - 10:02 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

The lids are now available on Amazon with Prime shipping available:

http://amzn.to/2g4eL25

Edited by drtrmiller, November 23 2016 - 10:09 AM.

#7 Offline drtrmiller - Posted December 2 2016 - 3:08 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I have updated the instructions to include a few helpful photos of the very easy installation process.  I'm sure I'll improve the instructions further as time goes on, provided these things sell.

Instructions for use:

Click here to view installation instructions

Please CONTACT US if you need any help installing, and we'll be more than happy to assist.

UPDATED 12/3 with PDF for improved formatting.

Edited by drtrmiller, December 3 2016 - 5:15 AM.

#8 Offline drtrmiller - Posted May 10 2017 - 3:55 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
Quick update:

At some point in the near future, I'm hoping to manufacture an improved and lower-cost version of this product.

When this happens, it is my intention to ship the few customers who supported me by purchasing the prototypes a complimentary upgrade.
  • mike.omeg likes this

#9 Offline iXvXi - Posted May 11 2017 - 4:19 PM

iXvXi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

I wanted to stop by and add my opinion since I do own one of these and like it VERY much.

These lids are a MUST have if you use a 10 gallon tank or a tall 20 gallon as an outworld.

Reasons why:

*There simply is not anything like it on the market from what I've seen. Choices are simply not there. Not that I'd be likely to choose another option with the experience I've had so far.

*For the price, you cannot build a better looking lid that performs as well without investing a lot of time and effort that Mr. Miller already invested.

*I received my order in 3 days!

*The lids match my other prized byformica formicariums. Extremely clean looking and FUNCTIONAL.

*The acrylic screams quality. Crystal clear which is expected but I've witnessed NO warping. Warping is a huge issue for anyone that has experienced using acrylic in high humidity environments.

*My tank was instantly turned into a clean looking center piece, and draws positive attention.

*Ample access to the outworld with the generously large openings.

I used silicone to permanently attach mine to the tank; I don't plan on ever removing it!

My only issue is I don't have more of them!

Resized_20170512_013628.jpeg

Edited by iXvXi, May 11 2017 - 11:12 PM.

• drtrmiller likes this

#10 Offline Superant33 - Posted May 12 2017 - 2:24 PM

Superant33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
I don't know how I missed this. I just went to Amazon and didn't see it. I hope Terry makes more of them.

#11 Offline mike.omeg - Posted October 14 2017 - 10:07 AM

mike.omeg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationThe Dalles, OR, USA

Quick update:

At some point in the near future, I'm hoping to manufacture an improved and lower-cost version of this product.

When this happens, it is my intention to ship the few customers who supported me by purchasing the prototypes a complimentary upgrade.

Might these lids be available soon.  They are just what I need!  Thank you!

#12 Offline drtrmiller - Posted September 8 2018 - 11:55 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I've decided polycarbonate would be a more suitable material for this type of product.  Acrylic is simply too fragile.

When I have the ability to make these from PC, I'll consider offering them again.

#13 Offline T.C. - Posted September 8 2018 - 7:08 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

I've decided polycarbonate would be a more suitable material for this type of product.  Acrylic is simply too fragile.

When I have the ability to make these from PC, I'll consider offering them again.

Almost a year late on your response there. ;)
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#14 Offline cosper123 - Posted March 5 2019 - 9:08 AM

cosper123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationAntioch California

Acrylic works for me, are these ever going to be available again? Something is better than nothing.

#15 Offline Rstheant - Posted March 5 2019 - 2:48 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
How do you feed with this on? Also, does this come with the mesh screens?

#16 Offline Skwiggledork - Posted August 18 2019 - 5:47 PM

Skwiggledork

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationUlster county, NY

Any chance these are coming back? I would love to get one.

#17 Offline Boog - Posted November 15 2019 - 12:00 AM

Boog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

We need these back, we'd like to try them out! :D :D :D

My Youtube channel: Ants Navajo               Keeping- Camponotus pennsylvanicus, Tapinoma sessile x 2, Pheidole sp x 2

"We may be witnesses to a Biblical prophecy come true - 'And there shall be destruction and darkness come upon creation and the beasts shall reign over the earth.'" - Dr. Harold Medford

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users