• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Camponotus Modoc Help!!

camponotus modoc camponotus modoc

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Offline i17qu3 - Posted November 13 2016 - 11:59 PM

i17qu3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello Everyone!

New to ant keeping and to this forum.  Below is my first ant species/ colony:  Componotus Modoc

Over the past week I noticed one of the larger eggs changed shape.  I circled it in red.
?ui=2&ik=4cef019e23&view=fimg&th=15860e0

I suppose my first question would be.  what is that?  I researched online and it could be the larvae going through metamorphosis, but after a few days the egg circled in red is gone.  Completely gone.  I do not notice any remnants, +1 to my workers, or the circled object hidden anywhere.  I have checked very thoroughly.  where did it go?  The other eggs not circled in red are still there.

I don't have a better picture quality, but if I were to describe it, I would say the egg is covered in a membrane, similar to some sort of waxy paper.

To my knowledge here is how I have been keeping my ants:
Temperature:   Approximately 70-73F maybe 75F at most on some days
Diet:  Every 3 days, fruit flies, sugar water (2 to 1 ratio), and water.  Water is Arrowhead (no chlorine).  So far they have been eating everything.  They drink the water, but do not always finish the sugar water.
Gasters:  Always full, I can see their exoskeleton expanding and the membrane stretching, like the picture I have attached.
Stress Level:  I do not check up on them until it is feeding time, which is every 3 days.  I minimize vibration as well by putting them in the closet floor.

Am I screwing up on something I have no idea of?  Any advice would help!!

I know they go into hibernation, but as I am from CA temperatures rarely drop below 70s.  Since this species is native to CA, I assume it would be okay?  Are you supposed to feed them during hibernation?

Edited by i17qu3, November 14 2016 - 12:00 AM.

#2 Offline fortysixandtwo - Posted November 14 2016 - 1:13 AM

fortysixandtwo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationNor Cal

The picture isn't showing up for me.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: camponotus, modoc, camponotus modoc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users