• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Formica aserva

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted August 13 2014 - 4:22 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

Just caught Formica aserva today with 5 of her workers! Hopefully they do ok. I also caught a queen of their host sp. but I don't know what it's called.

Actually I've been doing some research and studying and figured out that it's possibly F. rubicunda but still trying to figure out what the host was because I can't find anything.

Edited by Gaige Daughtrey, August 15 2014 - 3:37 PM.

#2 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted August 13 2014 - 6:42 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Very nice, is this going to be her journal?/ Are you making a journal at all?

#3 Offline Crystals - Posted August 14 2014 - 5:59 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Nice, I have had Formica aserva in the past.  Takes them 2 years or so to really get going.

Fairly fast growing and pretty aggressive.  They eat almost anything and love sweets and any kind of insect.

They have the best eyesight of any ant I have encountered in Alberta.  They see me just fine at 10-15 feet. If you make sure your shadow doesn't fall across them, they will be much more relaxed.  They also tend to like heat in one corner of their formicarium, more so than most Formica I have kept.

Best of luck with your two new queens!

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#4 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted August 14 2014 - 12:48 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

Very nice, is this going to be her journal?/ Are you making a journal at all?

I will try to keep a eye out for them and make a journal of them but I also have school so I only get on in the afternoons also I check it daily so I will also reply to anybody.

#5 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted August 14 2014 - 12:52 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

Nice, I have had Formica aserva in the past.  Takes them 2 years or so to really get going.

Fairly fast growing and pretty aggressive.  They eat almost anything and love sweets and any kind of insect.

They have the best eyesight of any ant I have encountered in Alberta.  They see me just fine at 10-15 feet. If you make sure your shadow doesn't fall across them, they will be much more relaxed.  They also tend to like heat in one corner of their formicarium, more so than most Formica I have kept.

Best of luck with your two new queens!

How long will it take for them to lay eggs because it does not look like there is any eggs. All my test tubes with queens in them for some reason have a little bit of water at there feat but I don't know why. Also forgot to mention that is the reason I have always wanted a colony of these ants because there so aggressive in which I've seen in the wild but I didn't know they have eyesight!

Edited by Gaige Daughtrey, August 14 2014 - 12:53 PM.

#6 Offline Crystals - Posted August 15 2014 - 5:11 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

I caught mine just after they flew.  I boosted them with a dozen Formica podzolica.  They won't lay eggs until after their first hibernation (typical parasitic queen).

The 5 workers, are they the host or her workers?

The water shouldn't be there.  You may need a thicker/tighter cotton plug for the water.  I find if the water heats and then cools, or cools and then heats, it causes the water to leak.  This is why most people keep the heating cables near the front of the tube.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users