• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

I want you all to take a look at this

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Kevin - Posted November 11 2016 - 11:33 AM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

Hey guys!

I made a graph today which shows the price per square inch of different formicaria. (Not including depth)

Here's the formula: price / (l*w) = price per sq. in.

I want you guys to look at this graph, and maybe do some calculations of other formicaria so we can all compare. Of course, I put my own formicarium which will be up for final sale soon, but right now the beta price is $16. I'm going to make a copy of the graph, which you can all edit and add information if you'd like. I trust the community not to completely destroy it  :lol:  and if you're bored maybe add to the chart at the bottom.

Unedited:

https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing

Anybody can edit this one: 

https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing

PS, the same rules on this forum apply to this google sheets document. I'll be making backups periodically, and ban any abusive members.  B)

Edited by Kevin, November 11 2016 - 11:34 AM.

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#2 Offline Serafine - Posted November 11 2016 - 11:41 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Added all AntsCanada and AntKit nests (had to convert cm to inches and € to USD for the AK stuff so values are rounded and might change over time depending on how far USD will fall in the coming years).

What surprised me is how MASSIVE the AC Omni XL is and that it is actually not too far away from the smaller AK nests in cost/Inch².

The large AntKit 32-chamber nest is very cheap but the smaller AK nests aren't to good in cost/inch².

Edited by Serafine, November 11 2016 - 12:59 PM.

• Kevin likes this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#3 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted November 11 2016 - 11:45 AM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

How can someone buy your formicaria. do you have a store now? if so, can you leave a link?

#4 Offline Kevin - Posted November 11 2016 - 12:00 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

How can someone buy your formicaria. do you have a store now? if so, can you leave a link?

It's in development atm. This is the link to view what I have done so far: http://916117119350.3dcart.net/

If you want to buy something from me right now you can simply PM me.

• ctantkeeper likes this

#5 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted November 11 2016 - 1:48 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

Wow awesome formicarium designs!!! However, I do have a few questions to ask / recommendations to make:

- what material is being used for hydration (I assume it is cotton wool)? If it is cotton, I would recommend using an alternative such as some sort of sponge (or any other absorbent medium that is mold resistant). Although mold in this chamber would probably not affect the ants, it can be rather unsightly.

- how good is the clarity of this formicarium? As someone who does a lot of photography, this would definitely affect whether or not I purchase this product (small scratches and smudges can make photography and video taking fairly difficult.).

- Will future models come with a small port on the side in order to aid in moving the colony to a new setup once it has become overgrown (possibly with a small rubber stopper)?

- Will small ants be able to squeeze between the nesting material and the plastic and possibly enter the hydration chamber?

- what about ventilation?

Edited by ctantkeeper, November 11 2016 - 1:54 PM.

• Kevin likes this

#6 Offline Mdrogun - Posted November 11 2016 - 2:32 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

While I personally think that your designs are great I don't really feel we are in any position to judge other companies. We have no idea how much time it takes to make the nest and how much time and energy they put into design. Another thing that needs to be considered is is whether or not the seller is doing this for their main source of income. While you're still just a kid Kevin someone like Tarheelants needs to be able to make a living off of their products.

• ctantkeeper likes this

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#7 Offline Reacker - Posted November 11 2016 - 2:42 PM

Reacker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationFree State of Greater Potatonia

I'm not so convinced that price/volume is really the best way to evaluate the relative merits of various formicariums. 

• dspdrew, dermy, ctantkeeper and 2 others like this

#8 Offline Serafine - Posted November 11 2016 - 3:17 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

It isn't. But it is interesting nonetheless.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#9 Offline FSTP - Posted November 11 2016 - 3:57 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

This is kind of a strange way to evaluate value. Simply going by size to dollar doesn't take into account the design cost, materials, manufacturing cost, advertising and media cost. 

For example I could make a gigantic 300 chamber formicarium out of paper mache and sell it for 10 dollars, that doesn't mean its better then a 3 chamber formicarium made from long lasting serviceable materials that cost 50 dollars.

I do like your design though how you can see from all angles. Its also space efficient packing lots of livable space into a small area. The only thing is it seems like ants can get in-between the plaster/grout/stone and the plastic vial wall. I would want the chambers to be sealed off from one another.

Edited by FSTP, November 11 2016 - 3:57 PM.

#10 Offline Kevin - Posted November 11 2016 - 4:23 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

This was in no way to promote my designs specifically, however I did add them in there. I didn't make this for judgement, as it doesn't count quality or any addons (outworlds, accessories, etc), although it was mostly meant for a small experiment to see what company charge for their formicaria, and how different formicaria from the same brand differs in cost. While it may not be the most accurate to determine value, it is still quite interesting to look at, and I think I had fun making it.

Wow awesome formicarium designs!!! However, I do have a few questions to ask / recommendations to make:

- what material is being used for hydration (I assume it is cotton wool)? If it is cotton, I would recommend using an alternative such as some sort of sponge (or any other absorbent medium that is mold resistant). Although mold in this chamber would probably not affect the ants, it can be rather unsightly.

- how good is the clarity of this formicarium? As someone who does a lot of photography, this would definitely affect whether or not I purchase this product (small scratches and smudges can make photography and video taking fairly difficult.).

- Will future models come with a small port on the side in order to aid in moving the colony to a new setup once it has become overgrown (possibly with a small rubber stopper)?

- Will small ants be able to squeeze between the nesting material and the plastic and possibly enter the hydration chamber?

1) Currently cotton, which will be changed as the model advances from beta. Keep in mind, it's not the material that molds, however it is the decomposing organisms on the surface which mold.

2) Right now, small scratches on the sides are indeed a valued issue. I'm currently working on ways to fix this, but I've found that if the camera picks it up, you can focus beyond the blemish into the formicarium.

3) They do currently have the option for a 1/2" OD port.

4) The gypsum cement mixture is created in the same container and expands during curing. Only the tinniest of ants could do this and only in rare occasions. You can either A) Hydrate the top of the formicaria and not get a hydration chamber, or pull the cotton out of the hole slightly and use it as a wick, like a test tube setup. The hydration chamber is secure enough to be similar to a testtube setup, and if you know any species that can past that, I don't know what will block them.

5) The lid has a large hole blocked with 150 micron mesh or cotton, your choice. The bottom of the vial also has a drainage chamber and advanced hydration routing so in case of a flood, excess water drains out of the open port on the bottom, which no ants can access. The drainage port also can allow for ventilation. Too much ventilation will result in loss of humidy, and this will be taking into consideration for further research.

Edited by Kevin, November 11 2016 - 4:35 PM.

• ctantkeeper likes this

#11 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted November 11 2016 - 4:41 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

This was in no way to promote my designs specifically, however I did add them in there. I didn't make this for judgement, as it doesn't count quality or any addons (outworlds, accessories, etc), although it was mostly meant for a small experiment to see what company charge for their formicaria, and how different formicaria from the same brand differs in cost. While it may not be the most accurate to determine value, it is still quite interesting to look at, and I think I had fun making it.

1) Currently cotton, which will be changed as the model advances from beta. Keep in mind, it's not the material that molds, however it is the decomposing organisms on the surface which mold.

2) Right now, small scratches on the sides are indeed a valued issue. I'm currently working on ways to fix this, but I've found that if the camera picks it up, you can focus beyond the blemish into the formicarium.

4) The gypsum cement mixture is created in the same container and expands during curing. Only the tinniest of ants could do this and only in rare occasions. You can either A) Hydrate the top of the formicaria and not get a hydration chamber, or B) Pull the cotton out of the hole slightly and use it as a wick, like a test tube setup. The hydration chamber is secure enough to be similar to a testtube setup, and if you know any species that can past that, I don't know what will block them.

5) The lid has a large hole blocked with 150 micron mesh or cotton, your choice. The bottom of the vial also has a drainage chamber and advanced hydration routing so in case of a flood, excess water drains out of the open port on the bottom, which no ants can access. The drainage port also can allow for ventilation. Too much ventilation will result in loss of humidy, and this will be taking into consideration for further research.

4) The gypsum cement mixture is created in the same container and expands during curing. Only the tinniest of ants could do this and only in rare occasions. You can either A) Hydrate the top of the formicaria and not get a hydration chamber, or B) Pull the cotton out of the hole slightly and use it as a wick, like a test tube setup. The hydration chamber is secure enough to be similar to a testtube setup, and if you know any species that can past that, I don't know what will block them.

Thanks so much for answering my questions. you seem to be in the process of working towards solutions to a lot of the problems I have discussed, but if I was asked as to which of the following i am the most concerned with, I would most likely say the clarity of the plastic. This not only makes filming and photography a bit difficult, but can also interfere with observing your ants with the naked eye.  In my opinion a good formicarium should provide both optimal living conditions for the ants that live within it (heat, moisture levels, humidity gradients, etc.) and good clarity, allowing the observer to view the delicate and minute mechanisms on which the colony operates. If both can be achieved, Than you have an amazing setup on your hands ;). So far, I really like the design and will definitely look into buying one once it reaches the alpha stages of development (If some of the small issues we discussed are worked upon) :) . On another note, Achieving better clarity might require using a different housing material.

#12 Offline Solenoqueen - Posted November 11 2016 - 4:44 PM

Solenoqueen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Where are you getting all of the materials?

:>

#13 Offline Kevin - Posted November 11 2016 - 4:56 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

"Thanks so much for answering my questions. you seem to be in the process of working towards solutions to a lot of the problems I have discussed, but if I was asked as to which of the following i am the most concerned with, I would most likely say the clarity of the plastic. This not only makes filming and photography a bit difficult, but can also interfere with observing your ants with the naked eye.  In my opinion a good formicarium should provide both optimal living conditions for the ants that live within it (heat, moisture levels, humidity gradients, etc.) and good clarity, allowing the observer to view the delicate and minute mechanisms on which the colony operates. If both can be achieved, Than you have an amazing setup on your hands  ;). So far, I really like the design and will definitely look into buying one once it reaches the alpha stages of development (If some of the small issues we discussed are worked upon)  :) . On another note, Achieving better clarity might require using a different housing material."

Thanks for the response. Housing material isn't the problem, it's the force of the grout vs the plastic. As I mentioned above, the gypsum cement mixture expands. I am testing different non-toxic lubricants to slip the formicaria together. (alpha comes before beta, btw, so there will be beta 2.0 :P)

Solenoqueen, the materials I buy are mostly available at a hardware store or online.

• ctantkeeper likes this

#14 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted November 11 2016 - 7:42 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

"Thanks so much for answering my questions. you seem to be in the process of working towards solutions to a lot of the problems I have discussed, but if I was asked as to which of the following i am the most concerned with, I would most likely say the clarity of the plastic. This not only makes filming and photography a bit difficult, but can also interfere with observing your ants with the naked eye.  In my opinion a good formicarium should provide both optimal living conditions for the ants that live within it (heat, moisture levels, humidity gradients, etc.) and good clarity, allowing the observer to view the delicate and minute mechanisms on which the colony operates. If both can be achieved, Than you have an amazing setup on your hands  ;). So far, I really like the design and will definitely look into buying one once it reaches the alpha stages of development (If some of the small issues we discussed are worked upon)  :) . On another note, Achieving better clarity might require using a different housing material."

Thanks for the response. Housing material isn't the problem, it's the force of the grout vs the plastic. As I mentioned above, the gypsum cement mixture expands. I am testing different non-toxic lubricants to slip the formicaria together. (alpha comes before beta, btw, so there will be beta 2.0 :P)

Solenoqueen, the materials I buy are mostly available at a hardware store or online.

lol, gotta bit mixed up with the alpha-beta thing  :tongue:. 

Edited by ctantkeeper, November 11 2016 - 7:43 PM.

#15 Offline T.C. - Posted November 11 2016 - 8:55 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Hi, Kevin, here is a pointer. Rather than focusing on on the price comparison so much, you should focus on showing why they are quality and as good a someones like tar heel ants or better! I don't know about others here but I am not just worried about price, but insuring my colony will thrive in their new formicarium. Doing good so far! :)

• dspdrew and Reacker like this
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#16 Offline FSTP - Posted November 11 2016 - 10:24 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

Hi, Kevin, here is a pointer. Rather than focusing on on the price comparison so much, you should focus on showing why they are quality and as good a someones like tar heel ants or better! I don't know about others here but I am not just worried about price, but insuring my colony will thrive in their new formicarium. Doing good so far! :)

that's  a very good point. For some of us price is mostly irrelevant if all the needs of an ant colony are provided for in an efficient and easily maintained design.

#17 Offline Jacks_Ants - Posted November 11 2016 - 11:01 PM

Jacks_Ants

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

It's in development atm. This is the link to view what I have done so far: http://916117119350.3dcart.net/

If you want to buy something from me right now you can simply PM me.

Is the formicarium for sale on this site? Also, when I order when will I get it?

Edited by Jacks_Ants, November 11 2016 - 11:32 PM.

#18 Offline Kevin - Posted November 12 2016 - 3:00 AM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey
This product is not for sale on that site, nor are any products. That site is still being developed. Thanks for all the feedbacks guys, but I will repeat again, this in so way is reflecting value of any formicaria. The information on the graph is irrelevant to what you should buy. This was again a fun experiement and is not made explicitly to advertise my products.

#19 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 12 2016 - 8:02 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Like others have expressed, it seems this would only be useful to someone looking for the largest formicarium they can get for the lowest price.

#20 Offline Loops117 - Posted November 12 2016 - 8:12 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan

I gotta get mine added in

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users