• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

why arnt all of my ants moving to a new test tube

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Xtremeanting - Posted November 6 2016 - 9:06 AM

Xtremeanting

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

So i'm currently moving my ants and the queen all of the eggs and part of the workers have moved but the other workers are just sitting there (i'm pretty sure there alive, i saw them moving) on the cotton ball of the old test tube they show no interest in moving over. i placed the old one under light and covered the new one but the workers who are still behind won't move to the new one. what should i do

#2 Offline KaptainKibs - Posted November 6 2016 - 9:13 AM

KaptainKibs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Be patient

#3 Offline MichiganAnts - Posted November 6 2016 - 9:56 AM

MichiganAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • LocationMichigan

it may take up to a week for the ants to deiced to move, remember that they have "ant democracy" so you must wait for a worker to want to move and hop that she can win over the majority to do so. and even then, the queen may not want to move.

Owner of MichiganAnts, a YouTube Channel dedicated to all my Michigan colonies found and raise in my backyard

https://www.youtube.com/MichiganAnts

https://twitter.com/MichiganAnts

https://www.facebook.com/MichiganAnts/

Keeper of:

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus

Camponotus Noveboracensis

Tetramorium

#4 Offline Solenoqueen - Posted November 6 2016 - 12:20 PM

Solenoqueen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Show me a picture and tell us the current state of the test tubes. You might want to wait until the new test tube looks like it is better than the old one(no mold, good hydration, clean, etc.)

:>

#5 Offline Works4TheGood - Posted November 6 2016 - 1:25 PM

Works4TheGood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationState College, PA

Colonies will resist relocating because it's a very dangerous thing to do in the wild.  In my experience, I've only ever seen my colonies move when they're either completely out of water (not a droplet in sight), or when both the water and cotton have turned so utterly toxic that it's become life-threatening.  Some people will suggest using heat, light, etc. to coerce them to move, but keep in mind that these things add stress.  I suggest putting the colony in a sealed food storage container with sand on the bottom and adding a new test tube setup.  The colony will then move whenever they feel ready.

~Dan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users