• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

What is your favorite formicaria?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Poll: Read the entire thread. (28 member(s) have cast votes)

What material do you prefer your formicaria to be made out of?

1. Grout (12 votes [42.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 42.86%

2. Ytong (6 votes [21.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 21.43%

3. Dirt (natural) (2 votes [7.14%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

4. Acrylic (3 votes [10.71%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.71%

5. 3D Printed (5 votes [17.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 17.86%

6. Wood (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

7. Stones (e.g. pumice) (0 votes [0.00%])

8. Hydrostone (0 votes [0.00%])

9. Other (list in comments) (0 votes [0.00%])

What is your favorite mainstream formicaria brand?

1. AntsCanada (3 votes [10.71%] - View)

2. TarHeelAnts (19 votes [67.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 67.86%

3. AntKit (3 votes [10.71%] - View)

4. ByFormica (older growtubes, etc) (0 votes [0.00%])

5. Formiculture France (0 votes [0.00%])

6. Other (list in comments) (3 votes [10.71%] - View)

What is your favorite formicaria?

1. Hyrbrid Nest (2 votes [7.14%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

2. Omninest (0 votes [0.00%])

3. Type 1 THA nest (6 votes [21.43%] - View)

4. Type 2 THA nest (10 votes [35.71%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 35.71%

5. AntKit Acrylics (3 votes [10.71%] - View)

6. Plastic/Acrylic Formiculture France (1 votes [3.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.57%

7. ByFormica GrowTube (0 votes [0.00%])

8. Other (list in comments) (6 votes [21.43%] - View)

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Offline Kevin - Posted November 1 2016 - 2:51 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

I want to take a poll on what your favorite formicaria are, favorite formicaria materials, and brands. Let's start the poll.

Here are the questions, in case the poll doesn't pop up for you.

• What material do you prefer to have you formicaria made out of? If none of these, list it in the comments.
  • What is your favorite formicaria brand?
  • What are your favorite formicaria?

Please, once done answering the questions, write in slight detail what makes your votes your pick. I want to know why and what makes these your favorite. For example, the THA watertower is a great design for hydration because is doesn't allow ants to drown, and creates an optimal humidity for most ants, the AntsCanada Omninest provides great vision because of its crystal clear acrylic, or the ByFormica GroTube is the best formicaria for rearing starter colonies because it provides nutritious, well-researched food for your colony.

As some of you may know, I am trying to make formicaria myself and want to know what you, as a consumer, are looking for in formicaria. These polls will also help current producers such as the listed brands with what you want as well. Think of this as an opportunity for improvement in the community.

Thanks!

Edited by Kevin, November 1 2016 - 3:52 PM.

• AntsBrazil likes this

#2 Offline Mdrogun - Posted November 1 2016 - 4:34 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

I prefer grout because it seems like a much more natural material for ants when compared to 3D printing, acrylic or Ytong.Tarheelants is my favorite because they make grout formicariums, each formicarium is made custom to order and in general they seem to have better customer service than competing companies (Antscanda). My favorite formicaria are the THA type 2s. I keep large ants like Camponotus and Formica and they can easily chew out of a soft material which is why I normally order the Type 2. This isn't a problem with other formicaria made out of acrylic or 3D printed. However, I've never had a colony tunnel out of a formicarium but I'd prefer not to take a chance. 

That being said, my Grotube HS is a really close second. Depending on the ant I may or may not prefer the Grotube over the THA formicarium. My only gripe with the Grotube is that it's possible for smaller species to escape it due to the ventilation holes.

Edited by Mdrogun, November 1 2016 - 4:38 PM.

• Kevin and AntsBrazil like this

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#3 Offline Crystals - Posted November 1 2016 - 5:47 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

I prefer grout or firebrick, although grout is my go-to. It can be molded into any shape for cheap.

Tarheelants used to offer picture frame style formicariums years ago that I loved. I did buy one a long time ago, and used that as a template to make my own out of grout. Their currents nests have the outworld attached, which does not work well with hibernation in colonies from snowy locations. That being said, I did alter an omni nest once with some grout and the colony in it did extraordinarily well.

My favorite formicarium is one that I can make easily, quickly, and cheaply.  As fast as my colonies grow, it would cost me a fortune to buy and ship numerous nests (shipping in rural Canada can easily hit $50+ for a football sized object).

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#4 Offline Vendayn - Posted November 1 2016 - 7:21 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I actually like Drew's acrylic ones. My favorite part is the water storage, almost never need to fill it up except once in a while. They are also nice and while look simple there is a lot to them. I know Drew spends a lot of time on their designs. And I think they still look nice. So my first vote goes for acrylic because of that. I however also really like Ytong (which is what Tarheel uses), and its a close 2nd.

For mainstream formicariums, well its Tarheel. The price he charges isn't really that much either for all the work he puts into it. Doesn't take long to get the formicarium, and it looks amazing. I got The Pinnacle, and its by far my favorite of his. I'd buy another one like it. I haven't tried the other mainstream brands though, but if I did, it probably be an Antscanada product. The only downside with Tarheel, which isn't a big deal for me. But, the nests need hydration every few days or so. Drew's ones can last months.

However, for ant products. I like that ByFormica sells some much needed ant products on amazon. I actually prefer buying stuff on Amazon (mostly for the free (or cheaper) shipping), and he sells fluon which makes it really easy to get. When I bought Fluon from him, shipping was free (pretty sure, and his amazon page even says it is on eligible orders). If not, shipping was at very least, really in-expensive. He has some other things listed too. But, even over a year later, I still have plenty of usable fluon left. 

Edited by Vendayn, November 1 2016 - 10:30 PM.

#5 Offline Kevin - Posted November 2 2016 - 11:04 AM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

I think this could get pinned for reference if everyone contributes a little bit. Commenting really helps.

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#6 Offline chickenman297 - Posted November 2 2016 - 1:01 PM

chickenman297

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Thanks to people like Crystal, I will be experimenting with grout. While I was in Bunnings, I saw some mixable Gyprock and wanted to know peoples thoughts on this.

#7 Offline NightsWebs - Posted November 2 2016 - 7:41 PM

NightsWebs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

I think it depends on species. I am quite fond of THA "Bricks" as they are often called for my desert species and for Acromyrmex Versicolor drew makes a great mostly modular formicarium.

Current Colonies;

Acromyrmex Versicolor

Dorymyrmex Bicolor

Pogonomyrmex Californicus
Pogonomyrmex Rugosus

Pogonomyrmex Tenuispinus
Novomessor Cockerelli
Myrmecocystus Mexicanus

Last Update: 08 Jul 2016

#8 Offline Kevin - Posted November 3 2016 - 1:16 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

Bump this to the top. Wanna get some more votes in.

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#9 Offline spider_creations - Posted November 4 2016 - 10:08 AM

spider_creations

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
I like natural and 3D printed

#10 Offline Shareallicu - Posted November 15 2016 - 3:50 PM

Shareallicu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

I like my own designs better than anyone else.  Not only are mine cheaper to make, they are much cooler imo :D 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users