• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Camponotus sp ID > Nevada County, CA, USA > 10/26/16

camponotus carpenter ant california northern california sierra nevada

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline fortysixandtwo - Posted October 26 2016 - 9:51 PM

fortysixandtwo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationNor Cal

Hello, found this Camponotus queen and 5 nanitics. Trying to get a species ID. Any wisdom or insight welcome. I apologize about the photos, the plastic lid on their colony makes it difficult to get a clear shot. Gonna try and get a better one in natural light tomorrow. 

I think I have it narrowed down to:

A ) Camponotus laevigatus 

B ) Camponotus quercicola
or
C ) *maybe* Camponotus modoc

Location of collection: Near Tahoe National Forest outside of Nevada City, Nevada County, California, USA.

Date of collection: 10-23-16.

Habitat of Collection: Mixed coniferous forest, Sierra Nevada mountains @ ~3,000 ft elevation. Under a rock. 

Length: Total ruler guesstimate: Queen ~ 15 mm (?)

Coloration: Appear to be all shiny black: head, thorax, abdomen, legs. 

Distinguishing Characteristics: Nothing notable. The queen appears to have a slight indentation on the left side of her abdomen. Not sure what happened there. 

​Distinguishing behavior: typical carpenter ant behavior. First year queen and 5 nanitics, no brood.

Nest description: Small cavity under a rock.

Like I said, hard to balance lighting and glare with this mini formicarium. I'll post the best ones I can get.

campoqueen2.jpg

campoqueen1.jpg

dsc08188.jpg

dsc08189.jpg

dsc08205.jpg

dsc08215.jpg

Worker

camponanitic1.jpg

Edited by fortysixandtwo, October 26 2016 - 9:57 PM.

#2 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted October 27 2016 - 4:35 AM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado
Yes we would need better lighting. I personally cannot see the red in the ants you were talking about

YJK

#3 Offline XZero38 - Posted October 27 2016 - 5:42 AM

XZero38

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationHenderson, CO

Yes we would need better lighting. I personally cannot see the red in the ants you were talking about

There is no mention of the color red in the post at all

#4 Offline Miles - Posted October 27 2016 - 7:00 AM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationFlorida & Arizona

I actually think this may be the black variety of C. vicinus.

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

#5 Offline T.C. - Posted October 27 2016 - 7:04 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

I was gonna say that's Camponotous Pennsylvanicus, but no, I think Miles guess is probably correct!

“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#6 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted October 27 2016 - 12:34 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

There is no mention of the color red in the post at all
Lmfao sorry bout that

YJK

#7 Offline Canadian anter - Posted October 27 2016 - 5:08 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
I agree with Camponotus vicinus but CONGRATULATIONS ON IDING THE GENUS BY YOURSELF something many people still can't do
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#8 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 27 2016 - 5:56 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I think it's probably C. vicinus too. It's definitely not C. laevigatus. I don't think 3000 feet is high enough elevation for them, and most of all, I can tell by the queen's head. C. laevigatus queens have heads quite a bit wider than their thorax.

• LC3 likes this

#9 Offline fortysixandtwo - Posted October 27 2016 - 7:46 PM

fortysixandtwo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationNor Cal

I actually think this may be the black variety of C. vicinus.

I think it's probably C. vicinus too. It's definitely not C. laevigatus. I don't think 3000 feet is high enough elevation for them, and most of all, I can tell by the queen's head. C. laevigatus queens have heads quite a bit wider than their thorax.

Cool, thanks. I will still work on better pictures. I wasn't sure if there were all black C. vicious though I have seen the red and black ones here. 

I agree with Camponotus vicinus but CONGRATULATIONS ON IDING THE GENUS BY YOURSELF something many people still can't do

Haha thanks. I have a background in entomology so I can get most anything down to genus usually. Just always kinda struggled with ant species particularly without a microscope or ant species key. 

Edited by fortysixandtwo, October 27 2016 - 7:46 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: camponotus, carpenter ant, california, northern california, sierra nevada

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users