• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

egg size still hasn't changed

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Justicarab - Posted October 16 2016 - 8:23 AM

Justicarab

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationGreat United Republic of Texas.

one of my queens laid some eggs, around 3 weeks ago, almost 4. the eggs look exactly the same size. is that normal. i wouls have imagined that they would almost be pupae by now.

#2 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted October 16 2016 - 9:59 AM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado
Before u tell us that question we need to know what species it is

YJK

#3 Offline Kevin - Posted October 16 2016 - 10:22 AM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

Possibly infertile.

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#4 Offline Goldsystem - Posted October 16 2016 - 12:11 PM

Goldsystem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • LocationWichita Kansas
They may not hatch until after hibernation

Edited by Goldsystem, October 16 2016 - 12:11 PM.

#5 Offline Justicarab - Posted October 16 2016 - 1:13 PM

Justicarab

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

the species is solenopsis invicta. infertile queens still lay eggs?

#6 Offline Canadian anter - Posted October 16 2016 - 1:57 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
Chicken eggs don't expand because of a protective shell. Ants also have a protective shell. Go figure
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#7 Offline MichiganAnts - Posted October 16 2016 - 6:53 PM

MichiganAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • LocationMichigan

we need to know where are you located? if you are in a temperate area its most likely due to hibernation

Owner of MichiganAnts, a YouTube Channel dedicated to all my Michigan colonies found and raise in my backyard

https://www.youtube.com/MichiganAnts

https://twitter.com/MichiganAnts

https://www.facebook.com/MichiganAnts/

Keeper of:

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus

Camponotus Noveboracensis

Tetramorium

#8 Offline Justicarab - Posted October 17 2016 - 2:20 AM

Justicarab

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

we need to know where are you located? if you are in a temperate area its most likely due to hibernation

i live in texas, i keep the ants at a consistant temperature of 78 f do i need to stick her in the fridge to hibernate?

#9 Offline T.C. - Posted October 17 2016 - 5:21 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

Just give them more time, I have a camponoutous pennsylvacius queen, and her larvae look the same they did 3 weeks ago.

“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#10 Offline CaptainRedBeardd - Posted October 17 2016 - 1:15 PM

CaptainRedBeardd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationMidland, Tx

I have kind of noticed the same thing in my Pogonomyrmex Rugosus queen here in Texas.. But, it's only been about a week and a half so, I'm still hopeful! haha.

#11 Offline Justicarab - Posted October 17 2016 - 5:27 PM

Justicarab

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

I have kind of noticed the same thing in my Pogonomyrmex Rugosus queen here in Texas.. But, it's only been about a week and a half so, I'm still hopeful! haha.

ya, i'm kinda hoping a i could atleast get a first gen workers before they have to hibernate.

#12 Offline CaptainRedBeardd - Posted October 18 2016 - 5:36 AM

CaptainRedBeardd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationMidland, Tx

ya, i'm kinda hoping a i could atleast get a first gen workers before they have to hibernate.

I'm just hoping my eggs are fertilized at this point..haha

#13 Offline Mdrogun - Posted October 18 2016 - 9:38 AM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

Just give them more time, I have a camponoutous pennsylvacius queen, and her larvae look the same they did 3 weeks ago.

Camponotus pennsylvanicus larvae stay at a certain size when they are ready to hibernate. it sounds like this is what's happening here.

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#14 Offline Justicarab - Posted October 19 2016 - 11:04 PM

Justicarab

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

do i need to put my queens in hibernation? do i stick them in the fridge?

#15 Offline T.C. - Posted October 20 2016 - 5:10 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

Camponotus pennsylvanicus larvae stay at a certain size when they are ready to hibernate. it sounds like this is what's happening here.

haha,yeah, that's what loops told me in the chat room, guess i'll be feeding the queen heavy and putting her into hibernation.

“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#16 Offline Crystals - Posted October 20 2016 - 6:56 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

To the best of my knowledge Solenopsis invicta do not overwinter brood, if they even truly hibernate at all.

78F should be good, but do keep in mind that the first batch of eggs do develop more slowly than later ones since the queen is working solely off of her own reserves. The eggs themselves may have less nutrients since the queen may have not eaten well before laying them.

Development at 78F will take longer than in the wild considering what I see of the Texas forecast, so just be patient. I have seen many people over the years comment that their Solenopsis colony took forever to take off, but once it did they wished that it would slow down (and stop trying so hard to escape the foraging area). If it helps, most of my local species take much longer for the eggs to hatch.

You can try feeding her a very small drop of sugar water or a squished fruit fly.

It is impossible to tell if a queen is fertile until the brood developes into workers (fertile) or alates (infertile).

• Justicarab likes this

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#17 Offline Justicarab - Posted October 24 2016 - 5:29 PM

Justicarab

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

To the best of my knowledge Solenopsis invicta do not overwinter brood, if they even truly hibernate at all.

78F should be good, but do keep in mind that the first batch of eggs do develop more slowly than later ones since the queen is working solely off of her own reserves. The eggs themselves may have less nutrients since the queen may have not eaten well before laying them.

Development at 78F will take longer than in the wild considering what I see of the Texas forecast, so just be patient. I have seen many people over the years comment that their Solenopsis colony took forever to take off, but once it did they wished that it would slow down (and stop trying so hard to escape the foraging area). If it helps, most of my local species take much longer for the eggs to hatch.

You can try feeding her a very small drop of sugar water or a squished fruit fly.

It is impossible to tell if a queen is fertile until the brood developes into workers (fertile) or alates (infertile).

very useful information. now i got an answer, thank you so much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users