• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Macomb MI, USA - 01/09/2017

Best Answer Batspiderfish , January 9 2017 - 5:21 PM

Lasius niger is something of a myth in North America. We have some undescribed species which look similar, but L. niger is frequently misidentified for the likes of Lasius alienus and Lasius neoniger. This is most likely one of our common, native Lasius, although the images don't allow us to see for sure which kind. Don't include workers with the sample unless you are 100% sure that they are from the same colony. It is not uncommon at all to find different species in the immediate area.

The time of year suggests that this is Lasius neoniger.

Did she have wings when you caught her?

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline MonkeySword - Posted January 9 2017 - 2:41 PM

MonkeySword

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

I accidentally found this girl last fall when parasitic lasius were flying everywhere. I found her sitting just inside of another nest so I didn't think much of it and put her in tubes next to the rest of the parasitic queens.  In checking in the other day I did a double take because I am not so sure I ID'd her correctly last fall.  I know my pictures aren't great but she refuses to move off that dirty cotton.

Location of collection: Macomb, MI, USA.  Found in shallow dirt next to the opening of another nest (see worker picture attached).

Date of collection:  October 2016.
Habitat of collection: Bare dirt next to Arborvite bushes.
Length: 7-8mm (tube in picture is 16mm for reference)
Coloration, hue, pattern and texture: Body is brown, legs are a lighter color.

View 4
View 3
View 2
View 5
View 1

Example of worker she was found very close to (same tiny shovel of dirt)

Worker

#2 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted January 9 2017 - 4:45 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado
Looks like a Lasius neoniger or niger!

YJK

#3 Offline Californian Anter - Posted January 9 2017 - 5:18 PM

Californian Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationFremont, California

Is it possible that queen is a Lasius Umbratus? 

Keeper of:

Camponotus Vicinus

Prenolepis Imparis

Tetramorium Sp. E x2

#4 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted January 9 2017 - 5:21 PM   Best Answer

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Lasius niger is something of a myth in North America. We have some undescribed species which look similar, but L. niger is frequently misidentified for the likes of Lasius alienus and Lasius neoniger. This is most likely one of our common, native Lasius, although the images don't allow us to see for sure which kind. Don't include workers with the sample unless you are 100% sure that they are from the same colony. It is not uncommon at all to find different species in the immediate area.

The time of year suggests that this is Lasius neoniger.

Edited by Batspiderfish, January 9 2017 - 5:37 PM.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#5 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted January 9 2017 - 5:32 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Is it possible that queen is a Lasius Umbratus? 

This queen has a large gaster.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#6 Offline MonkeySword - Posted January 9 2017 - 5:41 PM

MonkeySword

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Thanks everyone for the confirmation, was leaning towards a non-parasitic Lasius.  I'll try and get better pictures of her with brood (hopefully) in the future for a better ID.

#7 Offline MonkeySword - Posted January 9 2017 - 5:42 PM

MonkeySword

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

She did not.

#8 Offline Canadian anter - Posted January 9 2017 - 5:44 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip