• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Okay so I put a new pupae in

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline KaptainKibs - Posted October 23 2016 - 10:54 AM

KaptainKibs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

So I have a small solenopsis invicta colony and I went outside and found a solenopsis invicta pupae (I am 100% sure its an invicta) I put it in with the colony I have and the workers are tending to it and taking care of it. My concern is when the pupae takes final form will it attack my colony or not? I don't see why it would. 

#2 Offline KaptainKibs - Posted October 23 2016 - 11:04 AM

KaptainKibs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

also, it is a worker so its bigger than the rest

#3 Offline drtrmiller - Posted October 23 2016 - 11:37 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
A newly eclosed adult will not show any aggression to adults of the same species, even if the callow worker originated from a different colony.

Also note, pupae is the plural of pupa. When referring to a single individual, we say a pupa, not a pupae.

Have I answered your question?

Edited by drtrmiller, October 23 2016 - 11:41 AM.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#4 Offline KaptainKibs - Posted October 23 2016 - 11:50 AM

KaptainKibs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

A newly eclosed adult will not show any aggression to adults of the same species, even if the callow worker originated from a different colony.

Also note, pupae is the plural of pupa. When referring to a single individual, we say a pupa, not a pupae.

Have I answered your question?

Okay thanks, even if the pupa is about twice the size of the ant adults I have in there now it will still be friendly?

#5 Offline drtrmiller - Posted October 23 2016 - 11:54 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
Yes, if it is the same species, as you think it is. S. invicta is polymorphic, which means the workers come in a range of sizes.

The bigger ones play a more active role in foraging and defending the colony, while the smaller ones are better at nursing brood and tending to nest maintenance, but there is no true specialization, in contrast to a genus such as Atta.

Edited by drtrmiller, October 23 2016 - 11:56 AM.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#6 Offline Antsinmycloset - Posted October 23 2016 - 11:55 AM

Antsinmycloset

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

That is a really neat photo.

#7 Offline KaptainKibs - Posted October 23 2016 - 12:10 PM

KaptainKibs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Yes, if it is the same species, as you think it is. S. invicta is polymorphic, which means the workers come in a range of sizes.

The bigger ones play a more active role in foraging and defending the colony, while the smaller ones are better at nursing brood and tending to nest maintenance, but there is no true specialization, in contrast to a genus such as Atta.

Thank you! This new big worker should help a bit then

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users