• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Hello everyone! I hope my time here is helpful to myself and anyone I can help!

hi!

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Offline CamponotusLover - Posted October 1 2016 - 12:52 PM

CamponotusLover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey, USA

Helloooo!!! From New Jersey!!! I came to this fourm yesterday but eh. Thought I'd say hi today. Now I have never kept a ant farm in my LIFE. like no joke. I mean. 2-3 years ago someone gave me a cheap butt 6 inch by 1 inch ant farm which had tunnels going up on the sides. ANd then I put ants in it and they would crawl up and die. And from then I stopped the ant hobby for the next 3 years... TILL NOW!!! boiiii1111 XD anyway I have alot of knowledge on ant farms now that I have studied it alot and I won't put ants in those 2D things. Like I want to do the thing everyone else is doing now and days. Y'know raising a colony from queen. In a nest where you can go in all directions instead of those uncle milton farms which only let ants go forwards and backwards. You peeps get the point. Anyhow it is too late for me to catch any queen ants cause it is october 1st and cold where i live (new jersey)

sorry for bad grammar too I am typing really fast and not watching out for bad spelling. Anyone as for my name. It is just cause I love the big black ants that I have grown around my entire life and I am pretty sure they are Camponotus Pennsylvanicus. Well. Basicaly Camponotus. I am not fully sure if they are pennsylvancius cause there are so many species of big black ants. But yeah! :D I.. haven't been in the world too long. like. I am 12. Turning 13 in march of next year. But yeh. Also where do you all reccomend I buy ant products from in the future.

Ants Canada?

Or antkit?

Or tarheel ants?

Ants Canada has the highest quality but is very expensive.

Antkit has some great stuff but some of there products have some parts where ants can get out. (or so I have heard)

Tarheels ants... idk.

But I haven't bought any of there products. However I have a portable bag with a little baggy for picking up rocks and twigs if I find them useful for a outworld. I also have inside the bag 2 different types of test tubes. One type that is small and have a plastic cap. (I have 2 of those in the bag.) And the other test tube which is much larger but has no cap so I gotta use cotton to block it up. I also have in the bag a playing card to scoop ants up into a testube. And yeah. I have a drawer with my stuff on one side. And ants able-to-use stuff on the other. But there is just one thing I am missing. A queen and formicarium and outworld and stuff. I mean, I think I can make a formicarium and outworld but. Queen ant. 0_0

Anyhow I hope my stay on this fourm will be good. Like I hope I can be helpful to some. And I hope others can be the same to me! :D

• ctantkeeper likes this

#2 Offline Saftron - Posted October 1 2016 - 1:04 PM

Saftron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationFremont, California

Antscanada isn't the best quality in my opinion.... Tarheel ants is the best. Also welcome.

#3 Offline CamponotusLover - Posted October 1 2016 - 1:06 PM

CamponotusLover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

O Ok! I see into it! But hmm! Thanks though!

#4 Offline Canadian anter - Posted October 1 2016 - 2:24 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

Antscanada isn't the best quality in my opinion.... Tarheel ants is the best. Also welcome.

welcome Camponotus lover!I have to agree that Tarheel ants seem to have better products. I find that omni nests seem to be unfavorable for some spp of ants
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#5 Offline Kevin - Posted October 1 2016 - 3:24 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

Welcome! I am also in new jersey, where in new jersey are you? I'm in south jersey, particularly in mullica hill. Tarheel ants is by far better than ants canada.

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#6 Offline CamponotusLover - Posted October 1 2016 - 5:46 PM

CamponotusLover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Oh. Thanks for the info. But uh... Mullica hill? 0_0 You are that one GAN seller on ants canada right? NICE! I am 87 miles away. (piscataway)

welcome Camponotus lover!I have to agree that Tarheel ants seem to have better products. I find that omni nests seem to be unfavorable for some spp of ants

Thanks for the info and welcome!

#7 Offline CamponotusLover - Posted October 1 2016 - 5:48 PM

CamponotusLover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Welcome! I am also in new jersey, where in new jersey are you? I'm in south jersey, particularly in mullica hill. Tarheel ants is by far better than ants canada.

Wow thanks! But Mullica hill? You are that one GAN seller on AntsCanada right? NICE! I am 87 miles away doe. Piscataway.

#8 Offline Goldsystem - Posted October 17 2016 - 11:46 AM

Goldsystem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • LocationWichita Kansas
Welcome, I feel like people kinda hate a lot on ants Canada their omni nests aren't great, but their hybrid nests are very cool, you can also buy some cool formicarium from the people on this forum. :D

Edited by Goldsystem, October 17 2016 - 11:47 AM.

• Loops117 likes this

#9 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted October 17 2016 - 1:45 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado
Antscanada just sells really easy to make stuff for like outrageous prices

YJK

#10 Offline Reacker - Posted October 17 2016 - 2:09 PM

Reacker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationFree State of Greater Potatonia

Unlike your store of course. 

• Martialis likes this

#11 Offline CamponotusLover - Posted October 17 2016 - 2:16 PM

CamponotusLover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

oooOOOooo [censored] boiii

Edited by dspdrew, October 31 2016 - 12:15 AM.
Removed profanity

• ctantkeeper likes this

#12 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted October 17 2016 - 4:25 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
Lmfao hey we're getting started u $&@" do u think AC, and Tarheel started like that

YJK

#13 Offline Reacker - Posted October 17 2016 - 4:33 PM

Reacker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationFree State of Greater Potatonia

I think that AC and Tarheel didn't go around crap talking everyone else's stuff while being themselves entirely unable to make anything that looks even remotely worth buying. 

#14 Offline Goldsystem - Posted October 17 2016 - 5:16 PM

Goldsystem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • LocationWichita Kansas
Toasted

#15 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted October 17 2016 - 6:12 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

oooOOOooo [censored] boiii

Damn, shots fired!!!!!

#16 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted October 17 2016 - 6:23 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

I think that AC and Tarheel didn't go around crap talking everyone else's stuff while being themselves entirely unable to make anything that looks even remotely worth buying. 

I have to agree with Reaker. A little bit of friendly competition is one thing, but not only has this behavior divided the hobbyists into a series of factions, but has also contributed to scaring away potential hobbyists. Competition is a healthy: it regulates prices and prompts stores to turn out more satisfactory products. Right now, reliable setups are far and few between, but I look at the forums and I see the dawn of a sort of renaissance, where more and more people every passing day are creating small stores of their own. Sure they are small and maybe not the most glamorous right now, but were either AntsCanada or THA when they first started?  For example, check out Anttopia.com. I have helped the owner with designing a setup for his new modular series and although he has just begun designing new products, I see a lot of promise.  I can only look towards the future with hope and persistence because as an ant keeper who has been participating in this hobby for 3 years now,  I do not except the status quo and know that for the betterment of our community, something needs to change. 

Edited by ctantkeeper, October 17 2016 - 6:30 PM.

#17 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted October 17 2016 - 6:28 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

But yes, THA products are a lot better equipped for proper care and come in a larger selection, however the pictures offered on the store can be somewhat misleading and the features and overall form of the product seems to vary between each purchase. In my experiences, with the atom C, I can firmly say that when bought with a glass lid, they are unequipped to hold smaller ant species. But besides a few bugs here and their, they sell good products. And with a little bit more fine tuning, I don't see why they wouldn't improve with time.

#18 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted October 17 2016 - 7:27 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

O [censored] I got roasted let me go dig a hole and die

Edited by dspdrew, October 31 2016 - 12:17 AM.
Removed profanity

YJK

#19 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted October 17 2016 - 7:34 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

I have to agree with Reaker. A little bit of friendly competition is one thing, but not only has this behavior divided the hobbyists into a series of factions, but has also contributed to scaring away potential hobbyists. Competition is a healthy: it regulates prices and prompts stores to turn out more satisfactory products. Right now, reliable setups are far and few between, but I look at the forums and I see the dawn of a sort of renaissance, where more and more people every passing day are creating small stores of their own. Sure they are small and maybe not the most glamorous right now, but were either AntsCanada or THA when they first started? For example, check out Anttopia.com. I have helped the owner with designing a setup for his new modular series and although he has just begun designing new products, I see a lot of promise. I can only look towards the future with hope and persistence because as an ant keeper who has been participating in this hobby for 3 years now, I do not except the status quo and know that for the betterment of our community, something needs to change.
Dang can't argue with that. Welp thx

YJK

#20 Offline Antsinmycloset - Posted October 17 2016 - 7:42 PM

Antsinmycloset

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Is there anything questionable about hybrid nests? "Function before form" and all that, but I'm rather a fan of their aesthetics and modularity.

Edit: This all got so sidetracked.

On topic: hello and welcome. All of those places are good, but you might want to look at this selection of posts and tutorials Crystal collected. There's nothing wrong with a good, dyi grout formicarium, and they're kinda fun to make. Ant keeping sure seems to be a hobby where, thankfully, you can spend as much or little as you want and still be able to succeed.

Edited by Antsinmycloset, October 17 2016 - 8:06 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users