• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Any Tips on keeping Solonopsis Fungax???

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline SpikeyOls - Posted October 20 2016 - 11:30 AM

SpikeyOls

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationSouthampton

Any Tips on keeping Solonopsis Fungax???

#2 Offline Jonathan21700 - Posted November 6 2016 - 9:12 AM

Jonathan21700

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Are you trying to start a colony from a single queen?

#3 Offline Serafine - Posted November 7 2016 - 3:00 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Seal EVERYTHING. Use a lot of (nontoxic kitchen) silicone.

Solenopsis fugax workers are super tiny (1mm-3mm) and extremely hard to contain as they can squeeze through the smallest gaps. They can actually squeeze through the gaps between the plastics and the glass of AntsCanada hybrid nests (if not sealed with silicone). Not sure if they can squeeze through the airholes in AntKit nests but I would preemptively put Fluon on the ceiling areas around them.

Also they multiply very quickly like all Solenpsis so be prepared to expand their nest sort of soonish (good thing is they're very tiny so they don't require as much space as RIFA colonies).

Edited by Serafine, November 7 2016 - 3:01 PM.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#4 Offline Solenoqueen - Posted November 7 2016 - 3:37 PM

Solenoqueen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Can I have a photo please?

:>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users