• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Formica ID

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Kansant86 - Posted June 19 2014 - 10:04 PM

Kansant86

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

She was found in the Kansas City area.  She is approximately 9.5 mm in length.

AF027ED0-A5A9-4051-8F45-2A9A21698A24.jpg

#2 Offline Crystals - Posted June 20 2014 - 6:10 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Not many black Formica down there.

http://www.antweb.or...ct=missouriants

Probably Formica argentea or Formica subsericea.  Neither should be flying quite yet.  I suspect this is a queen from last year who abandoned her chamber.

If you feed her a drop of sugar water/hummingbird nectar 1-2 times a week, she can probably manage to raise her own workers.  I suggest putting the food on tin foil (or a thumb tack) for easy cleaning.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#3 Offline Kansant86 - Posted June 20 2014 - 9:33 PM

Kansant86

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

This was confirmed by Dr. Trager to be F. subsericea and also he added that the weather in our area has been on par with their flight preferences.  El nino I'm guessing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users