• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

New Jersey nuptial flight help please!

nuptial flight new jersey

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline CamponotusLover - Posted October 9 2016 - 7:09 PM

CamponotusLover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey, USA

So atm I know alot of nuptial flight schedules. However. I am still learning alot of things. Atm I know that in my state of New Jersey in the US, Prenolepsis Imparis are having nuptial flights, (Winter Ant) And every once and a while you can rarely find a Crematagaster queen or Tepinoma Sessile, (however I have never caught a queen in my life, I only got into this hobby the last couple months) Anyhow, does anyone know any other species that are still having nuptial flights in my area? If so, help is appreciated very much! Thanks! o and btw, It is getting very cold in my area. Thanks again! 

#2 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted October 9 2016 - 7:32 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Prenolepis imparis flies in the spring, Tapinoma sessile in the early summer. Crematogaster should mostly be over with their flights.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#3 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted October 9 2016 - 7:55 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado
Parasitic Lasius r still flying though...
  • Batspiderfish likes this

YJK

#4 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted October 9 2016 - 7:57 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

We are still learning how to found colonies of Acanthomyops, llike Lasius claviger, Lasius interjectus, and Lasius latipes. If you can find the Chthonolasius, Lasius umbratus, these are one of the easier social parasites to start in captivity.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

#5 Offline Kevin - Posted October 10 2016 - 3:33 AM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

I found a lasius umbratus yesterday, didn't go very well :/

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#6 Offline James C. Trager - Posted October 10 2016 - 7:35 AM

James C. Trager

Expert

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Lasius neoniger could also still be flying. They resemble P. imparis superficially. 

#7 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted October 10 2016 - 8:38 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

I still see Lasius neoniger alates at the nest surface in Maine, but with no 70 degree weather in sight, I wonder if or when they will fly.

----

#8 Offline Kevin - Posted October 10 2016 - 8:45 AM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

Lasius neoniger flew a few weeks ago here, haven't seen much action since.

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#9 Offline CamponotusLover - Posted October 10 2016 - 1:28 PM

CamponotusLover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey, USA

Prenolepis imparis flies in the spring, Tapinoma sessile in the early summer. Crematogaster should mostly be over with their flights.

In my area I have found alot of Prenolepsis imparis queens, but I just don't want a Prenolepsis queen. And yes I am certain with there id. Also There are still here and there Crematogaster flying. Or atleast, that's how it was a week ago..

Edited by CamponotusLover, October 10 2016 - 1:37 PM.

#10 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted October 10 2016 - 6:39 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

In my area I have found alot of Prenolepsis imparis queens, but I just don't want a Prenolepsis queen. And yes I am certain with there id. Also There are still here and there Crematogaster flying. Or atleast, that's how it was a week ago..

I wouldn't be so sure about the Prenolepis. What features tell you it is this genus?

Edited by Batspiderfish, October 10 2016 - 7:40 PM.

----

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nuptial flight, new jersey

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users