• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Aphaenogaster tennesseensis Journal 1

aphaenogaster tennesseensis

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Kansant86 - Posted June 19 2014 - 10:20 PM

Kansant86

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Date collected: 06/03/2014

Colony Size: 1 queen; 14 host workers; 2 host brood; 0 parasitic brood; 0 parasitic workers

Collection Method: hands

Conditions: warm

Family:    Formicidae
Subfamily: Myrmicinae
Tribe:     Pheidolini
Genus:     Aphaenogaster
Species:   A. tennesseensis

6/20/2014

This is my first attempt at rearing a parasitic species so I'm excited and may end up updating this journal more frequently than I normally would due to my unfamiliarity of the behaviors in the colony.  For instance, this queen will get carried from chamber to chamber in the haven and looks dead at times!  This blows my mind!  However when the worker that is carrying her puts her down, she sparks right up and all is well in the world!  If anyone has any information on this behavior, I'd like to read about it!  I'll work on getting a better picture of this queen asap! 

F536DAC2-E20E-48D4-BBD9-9EE08FDD57F9.jpg

#2 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 20 2014 - 5:31 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I can tell you for whatever reason, whenever ants carry other ants, the one being carried always seems to go into that fetal-like position with their legs pulled in and not moving, then when dropped they jump up and carry on like normal. This is certainly what I have observed with many different species and casts. I even have a video of my Pogonomyrmex subnitidus dragging their queen around before finally pulling her down into her new nest, and she was doing the same thing.

• Kansant86 likes this

#3 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 21 2014 - 5:48 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Here's that video I mentioned previously.

#4 Offline Kansant86 - Posted June 22 2014 - 11:07 PM

Kansant86

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Yeah this is EXACTLY what my colony does!  The first time I noticed it I was so afraid she had died or been killed.

#5 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 23 2014 - 5:29 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

:lol:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: aphaenogaster, tennesseensis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users