• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Smart Formicarium

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Chandlerk - Posted October 5 2016 - 8:14 AM

Chandlerk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationMaryland
http://www.gamergate...mart-generation

What are your thoughts on this?

I believe I can replicate most of the functions with an arduino and sensors.
  • Bcam43 and T.C. like this

#2 Offline CallMeCraven - Posted October 5 2016 - 8:59 AM

CallMeCraven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationElko, NV

Those terrariums sure do have a lot of bells and whistles. The integrated camera is pretty cool. You could watch your ants from anywhere! Then again, the more features you put into a formicarium like this, the more problems you can have with it. There are some QoL features that would probably be worth it. Sensors for temp. and humidity that could connect to wifi and be accessed through a smart phone app would be killer. No more trying to read little gauges, just a nice neat digital interface. Combine that with the camera and I think you could have something. I can foresee adding mechanisms to control variables within your ants environment removing some of the fun of ant keeping. I have yet to acquire a successful colony, but I for one am excited about the prospect of tweaking my ants environment in a hands on, up close and personal, sort of way.

All in all, some of the concepts in this terrarium could really add to the deluxe formicarium world. I also see some of them causing problems, or removing a lot of the interaction an ant keeper has with his ants.

• noebl1 likes this

Current Colony:

4x Camponotus (hyatti?)

Harmony with land is like harmony with a friend; you cannot cherish his right hand and chop off his left.

-Aldo Leopold

#3 Offline T.C. - Posted October 5 2016 - 9:09 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

It's beautiful, I was seriouly contemplating getting one until I seen the price! $349 However where do the ants live?

• Chandlerk likes this
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#4 Offline CallMeCraven - Posted October 5 2016 - 9:12 AM

CallMeCraven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationElko, NV

It's beautiful, I was seriouly contemplating getting one until I seen the price! $349 However where do the ants live?

Its a terrarium meant for reptiles in its current set up. It would take some work on your part to convert it into a formicarium. Maybe just convert it into an outworld, but it would be hard to keep your ants from trying to colonize it instead of any other formicarium you want them to be in.

Current Colony:

4x Camponotus (hyatti?)

Harmony with land is like harmony with a friend; you cannot cherish his right hand and chop off his left.

-Aldo Leopold

#5 Offline T.C. - Posted October 5 2016 - 9:24 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

Yeah, true, and since it such a nice looking habitat I coudn't see my self gluing it up or anything!

#6 Offline Chandlerk - Posted October 5 2016 - 9:26 AM

Chandlerk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Its a terrarium meant for reptiles in its current set up. It would take some work on your part to convert it into a formicarium. Maybe just convert it into an outworld, but it would be hard to keep your ants from trying to colonize it instead of any other formicarium you want them to be in.

I sent the development team an email offering my services and suggestions towards making a product geared towards ant keeping.

I can see this product being the premium formicarium/outworld combo.

I wonder if they can introduce temperature settings to replicate winter time to naturally hibernate the ants.
  • Bcam43 likes this

#7 Offline T.C. - Posted October 5 2016 - 11:42 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

That would be cool! You don't mind if I share this on the other forum I am a member of, do you?

• Chandlerk likes this

#8 Offline Chandlerk - Posted October 5 2016 - 11:50 AM

Chandlerk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationMaryland

That would be cool! You don't mind if I share this on the other forum I am a member of, do you?

No problem!

I still have to join more forums :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users