• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ant breathing...

ant breath

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Offline CamponotusLover - Posted October 1 2016 - 11:59 AM

CamponotusLover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey, USA

Well basicaly. I am pretty sure New Jersey's big black ants that run around are Camponotus Pennsylvanicus (Black Carpenter ant) but I really want to make sure and have this question too just incase I catch a queen in the future. Which atm I just want to catch a worker and try to identify it on the internet and then let it go but what I want to ask is this.

Now I know ants have no lungs and all and they breath through their abdomens and such but basicaly I have a test tube with a cap. And I know how to set it up and all but basicaly. Will the ant suffocate after the 7 hours it can stand without air? Or will it be able to breath in this tube?

• Enderz likes this

#2 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted October 1 2016 - 3:25 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Can you not plug the tube with cotton? Seven hours is probably fine, regardless.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#3 Offline CamponotusLover - Posted October 1 2016 - 5:50 PM

CamponotusLover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Can you not plug the tube with cotton? Seven hours is probably fine, regardless.

I can plug it with cotton. But I have seen test tubes with plastice covers with queens in em. And I know 7 hours is fine I did say that XD. But I mean will it survive in a test tube with a plastice cover after the 7 hours.

#4 Offline Canadian anter - Posted October 1 2016 - 6:18 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
It could probably survive for many days if there was water
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#5 Offline CamponotusLover - Posted October 1 2016 - 6:42 PM

CamponotusLover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Yeah I could add water. But I NEED to know if it will survive that way, I AM JUST sooo confused.

#6 Offline Antsinmycloset - Posted October 1 2016 - 7:37 PM

Antsinmycloset

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

I've kept ants in tubes with a twist on cap for days fine before. All you have to do is just make sure not to twist it all the way tight so there is some slight airflow. A big Camponotus isn't going to sneak out through some tiny crack, anyway.

It really just depends on what you're calling a "cap". If you mean something like this, well, I wouldn't chance it.

Edited by Antsinmycloset, October 1 2016 - 7:38 PM.

• LC3 likes this

#7 Offline andSocks - Posted October 1 2016 - 8:05 PM

andSocks

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Yeah I could add water. But I NEED to know if it will survive that way, I AM JUST sooo confused.
There should be enough water already in the test tube for a few ants to last several weeks, don't add more.

Cotton seems like the quickest and most widely accepted way to seal ants inside tubing/test tube/formicaria. You could still use a cap; but hold a small piece of cotton or paper towel inside when you close the lid, this should leave room for air to get in.

#8 Offline CamponotusLover - Posted October 3 2016 - 9:21 AM

CamponotusLover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

There should be enough water already in the test tube for a few ants to last several weeks, don't add more.

Cotton seems like the quickest and most widely accepted way to seal ants inside tubing/test tube/formicaria. You could still use a cap; but hold a small piece of cotton or paper towel inside when you close the lid, this should leave room for air to get in.

No... I meant add asen.. Like... There is no water in the test tube. Because there is no ant. But I want to know if I were to setup a testube what would be enough for it to breathhhhhhhhhh 0_o

#9 Offline kellakk - Posted October 3 2016 - 9:48 AM

kellakk

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

As long as there is room for air to get in, the ant will be fine. If you use a cap that seals the opening, there will not be enough room for the ant to breathe.  Ants  will last a while in a sealed container because they don't require a lot of oxygen, but eventually will die.

• LC3 likes this

Current Species:
Camponotus fragilis

Novomessor cockerelli

Pogonomyrmex montanus

Pogonomyrmex rugosus

Manica bradleyi

#10 Offline T.C. - Posted October 3 2016 - 10:32 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,067 posts

My tubes have a plastic cap, I just used a pin and poked holes in the lid, it was for a camponoutous queen which she is till in today!

“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#11 Offline NightsWebs - Posted October 3 2016 - 11:11 AM

NightsWebs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

in a previous post I added a different setup concept that would take care of your issue.  Although, the traditional test tube setups work they are not very desirable.  Firstly, you have trapped the ant to simulate her claustral chamber and taken away any choices for the ant, understandably captivity limits the queens choices.  Secondly,  the traditional test tube setup uses cotton to allow breathability and not a cap.  Thirdly, if the tube floods from overheating or condensation build up the cotton does give the tube some absorption and hopefully prevents your poor ants from the perils of drowning. 

• T.C. likes this

Current Colonies;

Acromyrmex Versicolor

Dorymyrmex Bicolor

Pogonomyrmex Californicus
Pogonomyrmex Rugosus

Pogonomyrmex Tenuispinus
Novomessor Cockerelli
Myrmecocystus Mexicanus

Last Update: 08 Jul 2016

#12 Offline CamponotusLover - Posted October 3 2016 - 12:56 PM

CamponotusLover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Ok. Now lets just forget about this fourm it is no longer necasary.

And I have bad spelling apparently.

#13 Offline T.C. - Posted October 3 2016 - 1:07 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,067 posts

What do you mean you have bad spelling? Who said anything about it? Also the idea of a forum is for people to ask a qestion and other people answer it. Whether you need more information or not, another person will come along eventually and want an answer to the same question, with all the info they can get! So their is no need to stop the topic... your not the only one that will want an answer! No offense! :)

“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#14 Offline CamponotusLover - Posted October 3 2016 - 1:40 PM

CamponotusLover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

What do you mean you have bad spelling? Who said anything about it? Also the idea of a forum is for people to ask a qestion and other people answer it. Whether you need more information or not, another person will come along eventually and want an answer to the same question, with all the info they can get! So their is no need to stop the topic... your not the only one that will want an answer! No offense! :)

I didn't say anyone did but I mispelled something. Anyhow. Non taken. But okay. I guess..

• T.C. likes this

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users