• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Please do help me identify this ant!!!

new jersey ant id

Best Answer MrILoveTheAnts , October 1 2016 - 6:18 PM

Also since you're from NJ, it might be worth your time to go for a walk after roughly one hour before sundown. Once all this rain passes I suspect Lasius neoniger, and whatever the L. alienus clone we have here will be flying maybe a day or two after it warms up again. Also it's possible to find a Crematogaster cerasi queen wondering around both in the morning and along with the Lasius flights. These are all basically the last non parasitic species to fly for the year. Parasitic Lasius have already begun flying with L. claviger eventually stealing the show when we get closer to Halloween. 

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline CamponotusLover - Posted October 1 2016 - 11:52 AM

CamponotusLover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey, USA

I live in the continent of North America.

I live in the country of the United States of America.

I live in the state of New Jersey.

And I need help identifying this ant. 

Please note this photo was taken about 20 days ago so around September 10th. Now ants are barely out cause it is getting colder.

Link to my photo: http://ctrlv.in/856830

Try to zoom in and please understand that this is in New Jersey. I have had people tell me it is a type of Solenopsis but when I look up all the ants species in New Jersey it is no where on the list. But yeah. Help would be appreciated!

#2 Offline Canadian anter - Posted October 1 2016 - 2:19 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
Prenolepis imparis
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#3 Offline MrILoveTheAnts - Posted October 1 2016 - 4:12 PM

MrILoveTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Yep P. imparis. Common name is Winter Ant because they forage during colder times of the year than any other North American species can handle. Also they hold nuptial flights on some of the earliest warm (above 65F) days of the year. I also live in NJ and February 11 was the earliest day I've seen them fly. Though March and April are more common. 

#4 Offline CamponotusLover - Posted October 1 2016 - 5:53 PM

CamponotusLover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Prenolepis imparis

Thanks so much!

Yep P. imparis. Common name is Winter Ant because they forage during colder times of the year than any other North American species can handle. Also they hold nuptial flights on some of the earliest warm (above 65F) days of the year. I also live in NJ and February 11 was the earliest day I've seen them fly. Though March and April are more common. 

Wow thank you too! Especialy for ALLL That info! Thanks! And yeah they are still in huge trails. THe colony lives underneath my stairs outside. There are millions in that colony!

#5 Offline MrILoveTheAnts - Posted October 1 2016 - 6:18 PM   Best Answer

MrILoveTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Also since you're from NJ, it might be worth your time to go for a walk after roughly one hour before sundown. Once all this rain passes I suspect Lasius neoniger, and whatever the L. alienus clone we have here will be flying maybe a day or two after it warms up again. Also it's possible to find a Crematogaster cerasi queen wondering around both in the morning and along with the Lasius flights. These are all basically the last non parasitic species to fly for the year. Parasitic Lasius have already begun flying with L. claviger eventually stealing the show when we get closer to Halloween. 

#6 Offline CamponotusLover - Posted October 1 2016 - 6:41 PM

CamponotusLover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Thanks for the info! I thought nuptial flights were officialy over! Thanks! I will keep all that in mind!

#7 Offline Mercutia - Posted October 1 2016 - 7:30 PM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

I've moved this to the Ant ID Requests subforum. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: new jersey, ant, id

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users