• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Can you move a queen with eggs?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline cj526 - Posted September 26 2016 - 8:57 PM

cj526

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I have a new crematogaster queen in a very small container about a fourth the size of a test tube. Water seems to be running low in the bottom cotton, but she just layer eggs. Is it possible to move them to a full size test tube?

Thanks for the suggestions.

#2 Offline kellakk - Posted September 27 2016 - 9:30 AM

kellakk

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

It's possible to move eggs if you're careful. See this thread for tips, the gist of it is that you get the eggs to stick to something, then gently roll them off into a new container.

However, moving them forcefully should be a last resort.  The best way to move her is to give her a new test tube and put her in a foraging chamber. If she finds her current container is unsuitable for brood development, she'll move over.  This may take some time; the container you have her in is probably not as dry as you think it is.

• Reacker likes this

Current Species:
Camponotus fragilis

Novomessor cockerelli

Pogonomyrmex montanus

Pogonomyrmex rugosus

Manica bradleyi

#3 Offline Mdrogun - Posted September 27 2016 - 1:44 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

I have a new crematogaster queen in a very small container about a fourth the size of a test tube. Water seems to be running low in the bottom cotton, but she just layer eggs. Is it possible to move them to a full size test tube?

Thanks for the suggestions.

Every time I tried to move brood smaller than pupae I ended up killing most of it especially with smaller species. I would see if you can wait until she has larvae.

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users