• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

ID please

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Offline antnothinglikeit - Posted September 5 2016 - 10:54 AM

antnothinglikeit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationLondon on

1. Location of collection: Flint MI
2. Date of collection: Aug 27 10 am
3. Habitat of collection: Crawling down hotel wall
4. Length (from head to gaster): 15mm
5. Color, hue, pattern and texture: black/dark brown head, orange thorax, black/brown gaster

I have had her in a test tube thinking she is a novaeboracensis, but its been over a week and nothing. any ideas. thanks. Very new at any keeping/ hobby.

DSC 1723
Album: Camponotus novaeboracensis
3 images
0 comments

Edited by antnothinglikeit, September 5 2016 - 11:24 AM.

#2 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted September 5 2016 - 11:18 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

You need at least a picture and a measurement in mm, in addition to your location, to get an ID. :)

Edited by Batspiderfish, September 5 2016 - 11:19 AM.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#3 Offline antnothinglikeit - Posted September 5 2016 - 11:25 AM

antnothinglikeit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationLondon on

You need at least a picture and a measurement in mm, in addition to your location, to get an ID. :)

Sorry I had album set on private try now ty

#4 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted September 5 2016 - 11:37 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

At 15mm, Camponotus novaeboracensis looks correct. She looks really hungry -- maybe she already started a colony that didn't make it. I know that Camponotus will fly in the fall if the colony is too hungry, but I would expect the queens to be fatter than this. Offer her some honey and insect protein on a tiny tray, and see if she eats.

Edited by Batspiderfish, September 5 2016 - 11:37 AM.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

#5 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted September 5 2016 - 11:48 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

It looks like other people are finding underfed Camponotus queens, so this must be normal for a flight at this time of year. The drought conditions have forced these queens to fly now instead of next spring.

----

#6 Offline antnothinglikeit - Posted September 5 2016 - 12:06 PM

antnothinglikeit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationLondon on

At 15mm, Camponotus novaeboracensis looks correct. She looks really hungry -- maybe she already started a colony that didn't make it. I know that Camponotus will fly in the fall if the colony is too hungry, but I would expect the queens to be fatter than this. Offer her some honey and insect protein on a tiny tray, and see if she eats.

I'm on the hunt for meal worms, see if I can fatten her up :)

#7 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted September 5 2016 - 12:51 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

She probably won't accept insect protein if she flew recently, but that is fine. She probably wants sugars.

----

#8 Offline antnothinglikeit - Posted September 5 2016 - 7:57 PM

antnothinglikeit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationLondon on

She probably won't accept insect protein if she flew recently, but that is fine. She probably wants sugars.

you are correct! I offered her a small smear of honey and she would eat it right away, four smears later and she was still eating. Hoping with a full belly she will produce some eggs.

#9 Offline Shareallicu - Posted September 6 2016 - 7:58 PM

Shareallicu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

1. Location of collection: Flint MI
2. Date of collection: Aug 27 10 am
3. Habitat of collection: Crawling down hotel wall
4. Length (from head to gaster): 15mm
5. Color, hue, pattern and texture: black/dark brown head, orange thorax, black/brown gaster

I have had her in a test tube thinking she is a novaeboracensis, but its been over a week and nothing. any ideas. thanks. Very new at any keeping/ hobby.

Good find, she is beautiful!  I am also new at keeping queen ants. 

#10 Offline James C. Trager - Posted September 20 2016 - 3:54 AM

James C. Trager

Expert

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

This boreal (northern) species seems to require a long period of vernalization (winter dormancy). I've had a queen for over two years now that starts laying in March and quits by July. Her little larvae just stop developing in the first instar, until the following spring when days get noticeably longer. So, yours most likely won't produce brood till spring. Fatten her up as best you can now, then stick her in the fridge, periodically making sure she isn't drying out, till April.

Seriously - The slowest developing colony I've ever had!
Have others had a similar experience with C. novaeboracensis

#11 Offline antnothinglikeit - Posted September 23 2016 - 9:33 PM

antnothinglikeit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationLondon on

This boreal (northern) species seems to require a long period of vernalization (winter dormancy). I've had a queen for over two years now that starts laying in March and quits by July. Her little larvae just stop developing in the first instar, until the following spring when days get noticeably longer. So, yours most likely won't produce brood till spring. Fatten her up as best you can now, then stick her in the fridge, periodically making sure she isn't drying out, till April.
Seriously - The slowest developing colony I've ever had!
Have others had a similar experience with C. novaeboracensis?

Ideas on what to feed her? She isn't interested in honey or small bits of mealworms. I have a bar fridge what setting should I have it on?

#12 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted September 23 2016 - 10:03 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Just as long as it isn't freezing, she should be fine. Arboreal, Camponotus from temperate regions are particularly cold-resistant. It might be best to hibernate her now, if she isn't interested in food. Make sure you've cleaned up what food she's left behind, of course.

Edited by Batspiderfish, September 23 2016 - 10:05 PM.

----

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users