• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Do Tetramorium sp. E ants live in Sothern CA?

tetramorium sp. e help ants ca california ants live

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Enderz - Posted September 16 2016 - 10:33 PM

Enderz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

I was  hoping to get into ant keeping and thought i should start with these ants, but there's one problem. I don't know if they fly/live near me and don't know their flight schedule. The ant in mind is the Tetramorium species of ant. I live in Southern California and was hoping to go hunting for their queens. My questions are: Do these ants live in my area (Southern California)?; When are their nuptial flights in my area?; What would be some good/recommended cages for these ants?; Do they need a lot of space?; Are they hard to find? These were some questions I've been wanted to have answered and i thought this would be the right place! Sorry for the long question but any answers would be appreciated as i am a newbie and would like to become more experienced!

Thanks!

:morning:  :hot:  :hot:  :hot:

Ex igne et in infernum. 

#2 Offline LC3 - Posted September 16 2016 - 11:48 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada
Tetramorium sp.e are spread across North America and are found in California, they prefer urban dry areas and usually nest under pavement (hence their common name, the pavement ant). They have a reputation of being very hardy ants and do pretty well in captivity. Tetramorium don't exhibit specific foraging behaviours you must accommodate to, but they grow very fast (if kept well) so until the colony gets larger foraging space is not much of a problem. As for the flights you might be a bit late, as they fly during early June to around mid July early in the morning (anywhere from 6 - 9 am).

#3 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted September 17 2016 - 2:42 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

I don't think Tetramorium sp.E is present, but you might find one of our only native Tetramorium species, T. spinosus.

Edited by Batspiderfish, September 17 2016 - 2:44 AM.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#4 Offline Enderz - Posted September 17 2016 - 9:04 AM

Enderz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Tetramorium sp.e are spread across North America and are found in California, they prefer urban dry areas and usually nest under pavement (hence their common name, the pavement ant). They have a reputation of being very hardy ants and do pretty well in captivity. Tetramorium don't exhibit specific foraging behaviours you must accommodate to, but they grow very fast (if kept well) so until the colony gets larger foraging space is not much of a problem. As for the flights you might be a bit late, as they fly during early June to around mid July early in the morning (anywhere from 6 - 9 am).

Thanks for the answer!  I'll just have to wait till next year! xD I'll probably do some more research until then.

Ex igne et in infernum. 

#5 Offline LC3 - Posted September 17 2016 - 11:59 AM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

I don't think Tetramorium sp.E is present, but you might find one of our only native Tetramorium species, T. spinosus.

http://www.formicult...55 +tetramorium

The range of Tetramorium sp.e seems rather inconsistent with online sources. However both Antwiki and Antmaps both list them in California.

#6 Offline Canadian anter - Posted September 17 2016 - 9:03 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
They exist in northern California but I'm not sure abouto southern California
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#7 Offline kellakk - Posted September 19 2016 - 6:15 PM

kellakk

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Tetramorium sp.E isn't a common urban ant in most of socal. You're more likely to find Argentine ants (Linepithema humile). There should be some other ants around, though, including Pogonomyrmex californicus and Dorymyrmex insanus.

Current Species:
Camponotus fragilis

Novomessor cockerelli

Pogonomyrmex montanus

Pogonomyrmex rugosus

Manica bradleyi

#8 Offline Enderz - Posted September 19 2016 - 8:17 PM

Enderz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Tetramorium sp.E isn't a common urban ant in most of socal. You're more likely to find Argentine ants (Linepithema humile). There should be some other ants around, though, including Pogonomyrmex californicus and Dorymyrmex insanus.

Thanks for that!

Ex igne et in infernum. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tetramorium sp. e, help, ants, ca, california, ants live

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users