• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

New to formiculture in Dallas, TX

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ryangiesecke - Posted July 4 2016 - 5:31 PM

ryangiesecke

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Hello all,

I'm Ryan, a beekeeper who has recently decided to allow my enthusiasm for Hymenoptera to cause me to delve into keeping ants.  While I'm actually hoping to get a head-start on my first kept colony by collecting one of the ones I frequently find using the inner cover space in my beehives as a home, I've been keeping an eye out for queens recently as well.  I work outside daily doing bee-friendly honey bee removals as well as managing hives, so I think I should stand a good chance at picking up queens.  I was already carrying around small vials to all my jobs due to an interest in Salticids (Jumping Spiders), and grabbed what I was pretty sure was my first queen recently.  Looks like she's started laying eggs, so that's probably a good sign. 

Figured I'd post a hello... I'm usually the type to lurk and read, get in over my head fast, learn from my mistakes, and then chip in when I've got something to contribute; so don't expect to hear too much from me for a while yet.

#2 Offline BrittonLS - Posted July 4 2016 - 5:56 PM

BrittonLS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationFt. Worth, Texas

Welcome! Good to have more Texans! I'm in Ft. Worth, myself. Hope you get a good start! Need any answers about local ants I might just be able to pitch in ^^

#3 Offline Justicarab - Posted September 14 2016 - 8:46 AM

Justicarab

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationGreat United Republic of Texas.
I live in fort worth aswell. Do you mind if I ask, when is the best time to find a queen, did I miss the window?

#4 Offline T.C. - Posted September 14 2016 - 9:58 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Welcome, alot of californians and texans on this forum. Wisconsin myself

“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users