• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Should we keep the Up and Down vote system, or just go back to "likes"? (It's been changed back, but vote anyway)

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

Poll: Should we keep the Up and Down vote system, or just go back to "likes"? (It's been changed back, but vote anyway) (48 member(s) have cast votes)

Should we keep the Up and Down vote system, or just go back to "likes"? (It's been changed back, but vote anyway)

1. Yes, I love it. (9 votes [18.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.00%

2. Sure, it's okay. (6 votes [12.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.00%

3. I don't care either way. (12 votes [24.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 24.00%

4. Nah, I don't like it. (12 votes [24.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 24.00%

5. No, it's horrible. (11 votes [22.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 22.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 4 2016 - 9:01 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Should we keep the Up and Down vote system, or just go back to "likes"?

I changed it back, but would still like to know whatever body thinks, if you saw it or understand what we are talking about without seeing it.

Edited by dspdrew, September 5 2016 - 9:21 AM.

• Reacker, FSTP and antwall like this

#2 Offline drtrmiller - Posted September 4 2016 - 9:06 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

If someone doesn't like a post, they can simply not click the "like" button, and/or post their concern in the thread.  There is no need to give negative feedback on this forum in the form of a vague "dislike" button.

Some people will probably also hit the dislike button by accident; and since the member clicks are public, it will inevitably lead to questions of "why did you 'dislike' my post?"  YouTube, which has a like/dislike system, only works because the votes are kept private.  YouTube also allows users to hide the like/dislike public counter, which doesn't prevent people from voting, but does prevent the public from seeing the vote count.

Allowing posts to be disliked will almost certainly serve as a deterrent to new antkeepers wanting to participate in the forum.

Edited by drtrmiller, September 4 2016 - 9:54 PM.

• dermy, Antennal_Scrobe, TheMicroPlanet and 1 other like this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#3 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 4 2016 - 9:49 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

If someone doesn't like a post, they can simply not click the "like" button, and/or post their concern in the thread.  There is no need to give negative feedback on this forum in the form of a vague "dislike" button.

Every other site that doesn't have a "dislike" or a down vote button has tons of people screaming for one, so there must be some reason they want it.

Some people will probably also hit the dislike button by accident; and since the member clicks are public, it will inevitably lead to questions of "why did you 'dislike' my post?"  YouTube, which has a like/dislike system, only works because the votes are kept private.  YouTube also allows users to hide the like/dislike public counter, which doesn't prevent people from voting, but does prevent the public from seeing the vote count.

Allowing people to see who "disliked" a post will keep people accountable, and will probably keep it to a minimum, and only done when really necessary.

Allowing posts to be disliked will almost certainly serve as a deterrent to new antkeepers wanting to participate in the forum.

What makes you think that? Everybody here is always very friendly and willing to help new-comers, even when they ask some of the same questions that have been asked a million times. Why would anyone worry about getting voted down anymore than getting rude replies? They probably aren't going to get either.

As an aside—changing the system to like/dislike has also removed the past 2+ years of history for posts that were previously liked, meaning that those liked posts now show reputation scores of '0,' since the like/dislike is a separate system tied to the same integer in the database.

Huh? All the likes are still there, they are just shown as up-votes now instead.

• Reacker and BugFinder like this

#4 Offline drtrmiller - Posted September 4 2016 - 9:55 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Okay, I didn't notice the likes were still there.  But you're right, they are.  It's just much harder to see, since they're tiny numbers now instead of showing all the member names.

Another concern, is that a member can just go through and arbitrarily "dislike" someone's posts to bring down someone's reputation score.  I did that 7 or 8 times for you, and finally got the message that I met my daily quota.  Well, at that rate, it will only take me 6 months to bring your reputation to 0, and really, there's no real action that can be taken against people who abuse the system—after all, the like/dislike system is nothing more than an opinion, equivalent to speech.

Allowing dislikes to decrease someone's reputation score, opens the system up to abuse by bad actors, with no recourse on the part of the forum.

There is also no way to undo or change a vote.

Edited by drtrmiller, September 4 2016 - 10:06 PM.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#5 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 4 2016 - 10:10 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I can just go and do it to you too, since it shows me who did it. If that's what someone really wants to do, then oh well I guess. I really doubt it's going to happen for the simple reason that it shows exactly who is doing it. Right now I feel like you are probably the only person who is going to abuse it.

• Reacker likes this

#6 Offline Kevin - Posted September 5 2016 - 5:59 AM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

Well, the reputation system is a motive for all forum users to post useful content, or if they do elaborate and make it better, thus giving them better reputation. I like this forum for its slim rules, but most forums with rep have a rule stating that there is no abuse allowed with the rep system, and abuse is under the discretion of the admins. Personally I am used to the reputation system as I have been on my fair share of business forums, so I do like it.

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#7 Offline Reacker - Posted September 5 2016 - 6:10 AM

Reacker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationFree State of Greater Potatonia

I love the new system. Please never remove it. 

#8 Offline drtrmiller - Posted September 5 2016 - 6:26 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

"Liking" posts is okay.

A "dislike" button in this forum is not okay.

The "reputation points" being displayed under the username is not okay.

Everybody has different posting styles—some people post journal entries, questions, and other posts that may not be widely "liked."   Why should someone be punished for posting a question?

I'd hate for the forum to turn into a points-based popularity contest, where dislikes can be used as ammunition, and likes are relatively meaningless because they can be cancelled out 1:1 with a dislike.

Edited by drtrmiller, September 5 2016 - 8:08 AM.

• Antennal_Scrobe likes this

#9 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 5 2016 - 8:28 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Nobody is punished for anything. The reputation system has always been in place. Have you never looked at any member profile page?

#10 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 5 2016 - 8:30 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I'm not set on having it this way. That's why I posted this thread. After we have this discussion, I'll decide whether I want to keep it this way, or put it back, or maybe something in between.

#11 Offline Loops117 - Posted September 5 2016 - 9:46 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan

I really don't like the reputation. At all.

#12 Offline Alza - Posted September 5 2016 - 1:19 PM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

Yea, I don't like it. Its gonna be a no from me dsp.

#13 Offline Subverted - Posted September 5 2016 - 2:57 PM

Subverted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • LocationSoCal
This is how I feel about the whole discussion from all sides:

My ants | My free feeder design | PM or email me if you need and 3d printing, cnc machining, or manufacturing done: http://www.lrmachining.com

Make your own mold/fungus/bacteria resistant test tube water! Don't get ripped off! Read my simple guide: http://www.formicult...-simple-how-to/

"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." - Isaac Asimov

#14 Offline john.harrold - Posted September 5 2016 - 8:44 PM

john.harrold

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationCastro Valley, Ca
I think the reputation/karma thing is useful for large communities, but this forum is relatively small. If you read for a week or so it's pretty easy to determine who is helpful versus those trolling for antimuslim immigration policies.
  • dermy, Tpro4, drtrmiller and 2 others like this

#15 Offline Tpro4 - Posted September 8 2016 - 5:51 AM

Tpro4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationNorth Hills, CA
what's wrond with reacker's reputation -2.147billin
Remember Dragon Warrior, anything is possible when you have inner peace. - Master Shifu

Current Queens:
1 Unknown Pogomyemex
1 Solenopsis Xyloni

#16 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 8 2016 - 6:40 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Apparently he's a despicable person. :lol:

• BugFinder likes this

#17 Offline Loops117 - Posted September 8 2016 - 7:07 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan

Still seeing a reputation. How long will this vote be up?

#18 Offline Reacker - Posted September 8 2016 - 8:44 AM

Reacker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationFree State of Greater Potatonia

There's nothing wrong at all. It's that I had so many reputation points from being so consistently and unbelievably amazing at all times that my rep overflowed the computational limits and the server was forced to take preventative measures against this happening in the future by setting me at such a low rep level that it will have weeks of time to prepare for the next time I hit the limit.

It's all really quite simple and obvious, I'm surprised that you had troubles understanding it and had to ask. 

• BugFinder, Martialis and Antennal_Scrobe like this

#19 Offline T.C. - Posted September 8 2016 - 8:55 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

I believe they're should be a like and dislike button.

“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#20 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 8 2016 - 7:24 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I believe they're should be a like and dislike button.

Vote that way then. So far there seems to be way more people that don't like it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users