• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Kevin - Posted September 2 2016 - 11:43 AM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

Reputation is good for new members to see who they can trust, or who is more experienced on the forums. 1 Like = 1 Rep... It could be displayed under the posts like this, except in green: http://imgur.com/a/2bFSFor like this: http://imgur.com/a/GyoNK

If you're wondering how I did this, I edited "warning posts" via inspect element.

• drtrmiller and ctantkeeper like this

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#2 Offline Loops117 - Posted September 2 2016 - 12:02 PM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan

I like the idea. But i see an eventual problem. Wouldn't want one persons opinion on a subject to reflect on another thread. For instance, some don't like people who brood boost and may give them a negative rep for doing so. Now this person has a negative rep, but gives out dead on advice for a any given subject. Are you to disregard someones post due to someone elses opinion?

..i suck at explaining things.

• Reacker, dermy, ctantkeeper and 1 other like this

#3 Offline Kevin - Posted September 2 2016 - 1:53 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

Makes sense, and I guess that is true, but if you were making good posts, wouldn't you have more positive rep rather than negative, because if you were making informational and important, useful posts you would gain a lot of positive, rather than making a bunch of 50/50 debates. If people are rating negative, then that's showing that you don't necessarily post "good" topics, and you would have to post more useful things to show your "usefulness" on the forum.

EDIT: Kinda just though of this, it is a good motive to posting useful and better "good enough" information on the forums, therefore improving information that for example a newcomer could use.

Edited by Kevin, September 2 2016 - 1:58 PM.

#4 Offline Reacker - Posted September 2 2016 - 1:58 PM

Reacker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationFree State of Greater Potatonia

If this ever gets implemented, I would like to request a permanent negative reputation score.

#5 Offline Kevin - Posted September 2 2016 - 2:01 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

If this ever gets implemented, I would like to request a permanent negative reputation score.

Do you mean separate positive and negative scores, for example 30 negative and 100 positive, rather than a total of 70?

#6 Offline Reacker - Posted September 2 2016 - 2:28 PM

Reacker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

I should have clarified, I mean that it is my personal desire to have a permanently negative score attached to and displayed by my user account. 

Jokes aside, this doesn't seem all that different from the "likes" system already in place. Even without such a system I've never had a problem in various forums finding out who was full of it and who wasn't as that usually becomes apparent with some browsing and through other users pointing out and correcting the dumbest things that are said by one user or another. 

A good question to ask would be, is there a sufficient need for such a system to warrant the time that it would take to create, balance, and maintain it?   Loops also pointed out that even if the system works perfectly on the first go, there may be both predictable and unpredictable consequences that are undesirable. See reddit's Karma system for a good example of this.

What situations have you experienced on this forum where you were unable to distinguish bad advice from good advice through context, and instead felt that such a reputation system was necessary?

• Subverted and LC3 like this

#7 Offline Kevin - Posted September 2 2016 - 2:43 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

To be truthful, none. I can easily tell by now who to trust and what is a load of crap, but another point is a motive to post more useful content, and try to be better than good enough, as I mentioned above. Lets say we try out a rep system, but it doesn't work out. It can be easily removed or revamped, and I think it would be a good addition to the forum.

#8 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 2 2016 - 6:46 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

There already is a reputation system enabled. It works by way of "likes".

• Loops117 and noebl1 like this

#9 Offline Kevin - Posted September 4 2016 - 12:05 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

There already is a reputation system enabled. It works by way of "likes".

This allows you to view the likes in a ratio form easily under the profile picture.

#10 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 4 2016 - 12:26 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Are you just asking me to display the reputation points under their avatar?

#11 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 4 2016 - 12:29 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I made a change. Let me know if you guys like this better than using "likes".

#12 Offline Kevin - Posted September 4 2016 - 12:38 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

What's the change?

#13 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 4 2016 - 12:58 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

There are now up and down voting buttons along with people's reputation score on the bottom right hand side of their posts.

Edit: Actually maybe that isn't their reputation score. I think it's the score for that particular post. I'll see about displaying reputation under the avatar.

Edited by dspdrew, September 4 2016 - 1:30 PM.

• Canadian anter and Kevin like this

#14 Offline Kevin - Posted September 4 2016 - 1:00 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

Cool

#15 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 4 2016 - 1:53 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I'm just going to edit the templates myself to do this.

#16 Offline Reacker - Posted September 4 2016 - 2:02 PM

Reacker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Can you give me a permanent negative reputation score when you do finish implementing it?

• Foogoo likes this

#17 Offline Kevin - Posted September 4 2016 - 2:42 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

Can you give me a permanent negative reputation score when you do finish implementing it?

why do you want negative rep?

#18 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 4 2016 - 3:15 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

There you go.

• Reacker, Foogoo and Kevin like this

#19 Offline Reacker - Posted September 4 2016 - 3:49 PM

Reacker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

why do you want negative rep?

Wasn't aware that I needed a reason.

• dermy likes this

#20 Offline gcsnelling - Posted September 4 2016 - 4:20 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts

Just because Reaker.

• Reacker and LC3 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic