• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Queen ID Please - 06-29-2016 - Massachusetts, USA

Best Answer Batspiderfish , June 29 2016 - 8:20 PM

Temnothorax curvispinosus or possibly T. ambiguus. This genus likes to fly at night.

I'm going to have to fire up my porch lights. We just had thunder showers tonight, in Maine; tomorrow will be a high of 82! :)

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline noebl1 - Posted June 29 2016 - 6:02 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

1. Location of collection:                     Stuck to pants, may have been attracted to flash light (was out ant spotting)

2. Date of collection:                            6-29-2016 at 9:45PM EST, 66F, 81% humidity

3. Habitat of collection:                       Heavy wooded area

4. Length (from head to gaster):         4.4mm  

5. Color, hue, pattern and texture:      Brownish red, some black stripes on gaster

6. Distinguishing characteristics:       *TINY*

Sorry for the bad pics, but she's very small and won't sit still.  Wondering if a solenopsis molesta queen?

MY9QnDYcFnCnxJTlk2eDv1lASPDu1vEjmwcCJdQq

xOYOi94qI6gT2XALBB7OkPOg0CgujscBC3Svryoq

#2 Offline LC3 - Posted June 29 2016 - 6:37 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Not sure what species that queen you've got there is but it is definitely not Solenopsis molesta.

#3 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted June 29 2016 - 8:20 PM   Best Answer

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Temnothorax curvispinosus or possibly T. ambiguus. This genus likes to fly at night.

I'm going to have to fire up my porch lights. We just had thunder showers tonight, in Maine; tomorrow will be a high of 82! :)

Edited by Batspiderfish, June 29 2016 - 8:45 PM.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#4 Offline noebl1 - Posted June 30 2016 - 12:53 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Thanks @batspiderfish.  Total accident too... was hoping to see if i could spot any Tetramorium relocating after a potential flight earlier in the day... but instead ended up with this on my pants, LOL

#5 Offline noebl1 - Posted June 30 2016 - 6:16 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

FYI they are flying again tonight.  Found another one on a light post.

#6 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted June 30 2016 - 8:43 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

I've been sitting on the porch with 4x4 ft aquarium lights (A decent blue light output, at least.) All I attracted so far as ants was a Tapinoma sessile male. Despite the nice weather, it seems the ground was too damp after the rains the night before. I have better hopes for tomorrow evening.

Edited by Batspiderfish, June 30 2016 - 8:46 PM.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#7 Offline noebl1 - Posted August 12 2016 - 11:32 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

BTW I think you were spot on with Temnothorax curvispinosus.   First workers eclosed this week, and do indeed look as the species is described. Thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users