• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ben's Messor barbarus

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline benjiwuf - Posted July 16 2016 - 9:49 AM

benjiwuf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • LocationGroßröhrsdorf Germany

So on Monday I should receive my Messor bararus colony of a queen and a handful of workers. I will document the opening and first glances for this journal then along with their move into a formicarium or any other setup that I have yet to decide on. Until then this is mostly a placeholder.

#2 Offline benjiwuf - Posted July 18 2016 - 1:47 AM

benjiwuf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

so, the mailman came today and i was very happy! the queen arrived with 2 live workers, and one dead in transport. they seem extremely calm, but i'm going to put them in the drawer with the lasius for now until they settle in a bit more. picture quality isn't good, but she is gorgeous! i can't wait to see how they develop. i'm pretty sure you all know where and how i got them from the photos, so i won't go into those details.

20160718 111128
20160718 111351
20160718 111359

Edited by benjiwuf, July 18 2016 - 1:53 AM.

• Foogoo and ctantkeeper like this

#3 Offline benjiwuf - Posted July 28 2016 - 12:37 PM

benjiwuf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

i fed this small colony a fly and large cricket leg, and had time for a head count while the queen was dragging the cricket leg in for the nanitics. there are 3 more pupae about ready to hatch into nanitics any day now, and one oversized larva. i mean the larva alone is bigger than the nanitics so i'm hoping this will be my first full sized worker (not major worker, but worker). there are also a pile of new eggs. i took a few videos, some long some short, but i now have my webcam setup so i can take pictures/videos of this colony at whenever i like so more should follow. the first one is a little long as i was hoping to capture them moving the cricket leg into the test tube and watch them ripping it apart. however in that regard it didn't go as planned.

Edit: so today i found the queen wandering around the foraging area alone. This has me a little bit worried, but i quickly herded her gently back into her test tube. She then proceeded to act like she was just out for a casual stroll and had returned just in time for dinner. i'll try to give them a bit more cricket (as i took the one piece out this morning after it had stayed in there all night), and hope that was all she was after. Also to note, i keep all my queens now in my small computer room where it stays around a balmy 27-33 C night and day. I have also removed the extra test tube of water i added last night as the humidity was staying around 90% which (from what i've read) is considerably too high. And better yet, I just watched one of the nanitics (whom i thought was inside the container i have them in) wander off and can't find it anymore. i have no idea how they're escaping, but fluon is on the way shortly.

Edited by benjiwuf, July 29 2016 - 2:39 PM.

#4 Offline benjiwuf - Posted August 2 2016 - 5:10 AM

benjiwuf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

i have no idea why, but today i looked into the test tube and found the queen dead. the nanitic left is fine though, and acting normal. i have no idea now what killed her so this journal is ended until i get a new queen and better setup. bleh

Edited by benjiwuf, August 2 2016 - 5:11 AM.

#5 Offline AntsAreCool55 - Posted August 3 2016 - 11:15 AM

AntsAreCool55

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Sorry for your loss, but in my experience Messor queens can be tricky until they get some workers. Next time I would suggest ordering a queen with at least ~20 workers,so she has better chances at starting a colony.

#6 Offline CozmoDog - Posted August 3 2016 - 2:08 PM

CozmoDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationGreece, Rhodes

I have a messor wasmanni colony which i got before winter hit so she was hibernating all winter long now she has about 40+ workers and a ton of brood, I'm not an expert but the way i got this colony started is I left her in the test tube in the dark I'm pretty sure they don't need a foraging area until they are very big so you should try to keep her in just a test tube until 50+ workers also i first gave my colony seeds/protein when they had 7-8 workers I'm not sure how similar the species are tbh so I don't know if my way will work for you too.

#7 Offline benjiwuf - Posted August 3 2016 - 6:24 PM

benjiwuf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
Interesting. I opened mine up to forage and they definitely dragged everything into the test tube, but i have no experience with any of these species here (not that i was very good beforehand either).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users