• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Lasius sp. queen HELP!

lasius

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Loops117 - Posted July 20 2016 - 6:01 PM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan

So, today i lifted one of the many bricks that's above a Lasius flavus colony around my house. Found this girl running from one of the brood piles. I scooped her, and the brood pile she was running from.

Now here's were it's tricky to me. If she's the original queen from that colony, i want to put her back. It's a big beautiful colony that's producing many many alates. Now, the other idea was that she may be parasitic. Although, her body shape doesn't look parasitic. And comparing her to my L.unbratus, she's bigger with a more rounded off, swollen gaster. If she is parasitic, was she about to pull off her heist? Kind of at a loss of what to do.

Under a brick, next to house.

5~6mm long.

Near Lasius flavus colony.

Here is her next to my L.unbratus. New queen is in the box

20160720_213023.jpg

And here is just her.

20160720_190515.jpg

20160720_190337.jpg

#2 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted July 20 2016 - 6:14 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

You can introduce one worker and see how they react. If they are hostile, one or the other will probably run out of the tube when they discover each other. She looks like a Lasius alienus queen to me, but Lasius flavus can sometimes be darker like that.

Edited by Batspiderfish, July 20 2016 - 6:27 PM.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#3 Offline Loops117 - Posted July 20 2016 - 6:31 PM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Added 9 workers and some brood to the box. Workers and queen are avoiding each other. So, now i'm leaning away from her being of that colony. And i really don't think she's parasitic.

She looks like a Lasius alienus queen to me, but Lasius flavus can sometimes be darker like that.

That's exactly what i thought. She looks exactly like my L.alienus queen. Just a lot bigger.

Here's her next to my alienus queen and her colony. New queen is in the box

20160720_222912.jpg

Edited by Loops117, July 20 2016 - 6:36 PM.

#4 Offline Ants4fun - Posted July 20 2016 - 6:52 PM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
Ladies alenius have flown and are still flying in some areas. I believe that is a Lasius aliens queen that stayed under the same brick and they just didn't find her yet. Lasius Davis aren't all that common compared to other parasitic "yellow" species such as citronella ants. It is very confusing to distinguish the workers without close examination.

#5 Offline Loops117 - Posted July 20 2016 - 7:38 PM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts

alienus sounds rights, from a picture POV. But having them side by side, huge size difference. See 4th picture. L.alienus queen is to the left of the new queen.

Edited by Loops117, July 20 2016 - 7:39 PM.

#6 Offline Ants4fun - Posted July 20 2016 - 7:39 PM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
Probably just neoniger than.

Kind of dark for most flavus but you *might* be surprised and see some yellow workers pop out.

Edited by Ants4fun, July 20 2016 - 7:40 PM.

#7 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted July 21 2016 - 5:33 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

I can't even find your other Lasius alienus queen to compare her to?

Oh, nevermind. The queen in your captive colony has likely just expended most of the food she left her mother nest with, and doesn't need to be fed to that extent in her colony. Lasius neoniger won't be flying until August.

Edited by Batspiderfish, July 21 2016 - 5:34 AM.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

#8 Offline Loops117 - Posted July 21 2016 - 6:20 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Oh, nevermind. The queen in your captive colony has likely just expended most of the food she left her mother nest with, and doesn't need to be fed to that extent in her colony. Lasius neoniger won't be flying until August.

But wouldn't she just be more slim? The size difference between the two is incredible if they're the same species. Since my last post i've removed the queen and placed her in a tube with some brood and 2 fresh callow workers from the flavus colony she was next to. We'll see how it goes.

#9 Offline Ants4fun - Posted July 21 2016 - 8:18 AM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
Lasius neoniger will fly in July. I have already seen some fly.

#10 Offline Loops117 - Posted July 21 2016 - 8:50 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts

She does looks exactly like the neoniger queen

#11 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted July 21 2016 - 9:20 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Lasius neoniger will fly in July. I have already seen some fly.

What told you they were Lasius neoniger, and not Lasius alienus / Lasius pallitarsis / Lasius crypticus?

Edited by Batspiderfish, July 21 2016 - 9:34 AM.

----

#12 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted July 21 2016 - 9:24 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

But wouldn't she just be more slim? The size difference between the two is incredible if they're the same species. Since my last post i've removed the queen and placed her in a tube with some brood and 2 fresh callow workers from the flavus colony she was next to. We'll see how it goes.

The way the gaster is shaped, it will grow longer or shorter before wider or slimmer. My Lasius alienus queen's gaster looks short and scrunched up, such that some of the gastral tergites are overlapping each other, but the colony is well-fed and she is laying lots of eggs.

Edited by Batspiderfish, July 21 2016 - 9:24 AM.

----

#13 Offline Jeoff82 - Posted July 22 2016 - 12:18 AM

Jeoff82

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
That looks like an Lasius Flavus queen. Is she yellow underneath? It looks like she might be in one of the pictures you supplied. Either she's the original queen of the colony or one of them. I have a Lasius Flavus colony with 3 queens cooperating. I'd put her back with the rest of the colony.

Species kept; Lasius Niger, Flavus, Brunneus, Emarginatus, Umbratus, Formica Fusca, Sanguinea, Rufibarbis, Camponotus Ligniperdus, Myrmica Rubra

#14 Offline Loops117 - Posted July 22 2016 - 5:08 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts

That looks like an Lasius Flavus queen. Is she yellow underneath? It looks like she might be in one of the pictures you supplied. Either she's the original queen of the colony or one of them. I have a Lasius Flavus colony with 3 queens cooperating. I'd put her back with the rest of the colony.

This is what i was hoping against. She didn't want anything to do with the workers or brood i supplied her with, so me thinks she was just taking refuge under the brick. Today i'll get a better picture of her in a tube.

#15 Offline Jeoff82 - Posted July 22 2016 - 6:10 AM

Jeoff82

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
It's your decision what you do with her, if you give her just brood I'm sure she will be fine. She might not of wanted anything to do with the workers because of the circumstances or there maybe another reason. Like you say she may of just been taking refuge there, you will probably never know. Try her with brood only.

Species kept; Lasius Niger, Flavus, Brunneus, Emarginatus, Umbratus, Formica Fusca, Sanguinea, Rufibarbis, Camponotus Ligniperdus, Myrmica Rubra

#16 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted July 22 2016 - 6:22 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

I don't think the callow workers will do any harm. Since they're already in there with her, you might as well enjoy the novelty of it. I personally don't believe she is Lasius flavus, as the wild colony doesn't seem to have been hers and it's too early for this species to fly in North America (not to rule out Lasius nearcticus).

----

#17 Offline Loops117 - Posted July 22 2016 - 7:27 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts

She killed the callow workers over night, and left them whole, so she didn't kill for nutrition. She only has the brood i added left in her tube. If she is the original queen (which i'm now doubting since she killed workers instead of just ignoring them), she will be going back. This colony seems to have been at this location longer then i have, so i don't want to hurt them.

If it is their queen, would having her away from her colony for a couple days reset anything? Will the colony accept her back?

Also, idk if this helps at all with identification. But i've noticed some (what i believe to be) Tetramorium sp. living reallllll close to the lasius. Some under the same brick. Will they eventually raid, and force the lasius out? Or are they communal? I know Tetramorium can be very aggresive towards others, along with other species living outside of host colonies to steal food, brood, and workers. And on the other hand, i've read that some species can live with other species without aggression.

#18 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted July 22 2016 - 8:13 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Tetramorium are frequently found adjacent to native ants like Lasius, where they seem to occupy different competitive niches. Being myrmicines, Tetramorium can utilize carbohydrates from plant sources, which Lasius cannot do (at least not dirrectly).

That she decided to kill the callows certainly implies that they were different species, or at least not from the same nest. If there are any worker pupae, she might adopt them if they are not too alien, phenotypically.

Edited by Batspiderfish, July 22 2016 - 8:19 AM.

----

#19 Offline Loops117 - Posted July 22 2016 - 8:26 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Tetramorium are frequently found adjacent to native ants like Lasius, where they seem to occupy different competitive niches. Being myrmicines, Tetramorium can utilize carbohydrates from plant sources, which Lasius cannot do (at least not dirrectly).

That she decided to kill the callows certainly implies that they were different species, or at least not from the same nest. If there are any worker pupae, she might adopt them if they are not too alien, phenotypically.

Thank you for your help. Some of the brood should emerge soon, within the next couple of days. If she doesn't accept them, i'm gonna remove the rest and try a different approach.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lasius

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users