• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Identification of ant queen

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ryan1207 - Posted July 12 2016 - 5:34 PM

Ryan1207

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

I think that she is either a black carpenter ant or a pavement ant. She is 7 millimeters in length and was caught in NE philadelphia in the late evening (4pm). This is my first queen :D and she was caught July 12th 2016 (trying to be very specific). I do not have any good pictures based on the current situation but have her in a 10 ml test tube with the basic test tube set up. It will not let me upload a picture but I hope this works.

Hope you guys know what it is :D 

It worked! 

#2 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted July 12 2016 - 5:51 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

She is a Lasius temporary social parasite, although I can't quite tell which. She will need 20 or so Lasius sp. host workers (only from inside the nest) with some brood in order to start a colony.

Edited by Batspiderfish, July 12 2016 - 6:37 PM.

• LC3 likes this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#3 Offline Ryan1207 - Posted July 12 2016 - 7:15 PM

Ryan1207

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

She is a Lasius temporary social parasite, although I can't quite tell which. She will need 20 or so Lasius sp. host workers (only from inside the nest) with some brood in order to start a colony.

So I need to get workers from another colony to make her have her own? How many? Is she still fully claustral? Can it be any other ant species? I hope you are able to wander my questions.
I meant answer. Stupid auto correct.

#4 Offline Ryan1207 - Posted July 12 2016 - 7:17 PM

Ryan1207

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Sorry I know it is 20 or so workers now. Sometimes I do not read stuff all the way.

#5 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted July 13 2016 - 2:45 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Social parasites aren't exactly claustral nor semi-claustral, since founding queens start off with a colony right away. You'd have to leave the tube open, since the workers will want to forage. If you provided more pictures (not the underneath of the queen, which are not useful) then I could probably get it down to the species, but I am pretty certain of her social parasite status.

Edited by Batspiderfish, July 13 2016 - 2:47 AM.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

#6 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted July 13 2016 - 3:14 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

When you have the workers, give both the queen tube and the worker tube adjacent access to each other in an escape-proof outworld/foraging space. I find that the choice of access to the host workers is sometimes safer for the queen than forcing both parties into a closed space withing the fridge, as is the common approach to an introduction.

Keep in mind that Lasius use formic acid in defense, so the workers should be collected in a spacious container, so as not to gas themselves.

My first queen was also a social parasite. :)

Edited by Batspiderfish, July 13 2016 - 3:15 AM.

----

#7 Offline Ryan1207 - Posted July 13 2016 - 5:01 AM

Ryan1207

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

When you have the workers, give both the queen tube and the worker tube adjacent access to each other in an escape-proof outworld/foraging space. I find that the choice of access to the host workers is sometimes safer for the queen than forcing both parties into a closed space withing the fridge, as is the common approach to an introduction.
Keep in mind that Lasius use formic acid in defense, so the workers should be collected in a spacious container, so as not to gas themselves.

My first queen was also a social parasite. :)

Thanks for all the info!
But how would I obtain the brood without destroying a nest? Do I need brood? Do the host workers have to be lasius?

#8 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted July 13 2016 - 6:36 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

If you flip flat stones near Lasius nests, it isn't extremely difficult or destructive to get what you need. Just be sure to put the rock back as near to the way you found it as you can manage. Yes, Lasius social parasites definitely need host workers from other Lasius.

The brood may not be essential, but I believe they can be helpful during the founding stages of these queens -- they are a source of protein (larvae will regurgitate some of the digested solid foods they have eaten) and callow workers (which are very enthusiastic about brood care and will imprint upon the queen). You will want the youngest workers for a host species introduction, because they are the least aggressive, and these are often found with the brood.

----

#9 Offline Ryan1207 - Posted July 13 2016 - 6:55 AM

Ryan1207

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I just collected 20 very small black ants to use. I couldn't seem to find any bread under rocks :( This will have to do.
*brood

#10 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted July 13 2016 - 7:12 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Let's get a positive ID on the workers, so we know they're Lasius.

----

#11 Offline Ryan1207 - Posted July 13 2016 - 7:14 AM

Ryan1207

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I will show a pic

#12 Offline Ryan1207 - Posted July 13 2016 - 7:21 AM

Ryan1207

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Let's get a positive ID on the workers, so we know they're Lasius.

These ones can climb over vaseline

#13 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted July 13 2016 - 7:28 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Aha! These are Tetramorium workers, which often do nest in the same general habitat as Lasius neoniger. Sadly, these workers won't do.

----

#14 Offline Ryan1207 - Posted July 13 2016 - 7:28 AM

Ryan1207

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Dang. If I don't find workers d=soon will my queen die?

#15 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted July 13 2016 - 7:30 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Something more like this:

alienus6-XL.jpg

----

#16 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted July 13 2016 - 7:32 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Dang. If I don't find workers d=soon will my queen die?

It's hard to say, without knowing which Lasius species she is, but if you can offer her a tiny drop of sugar water, she will probably appreciate it.

----

#17 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted July 13 2016 - 7:34 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

alienus9-S.jpg

They'll be a little bit bigger than the workers you found, but not way bigger.

----

#18 Offline Ryan1207 - Posted July 13 2016 - 7:35 AM

Ryan1207

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Thanks I will treat her to sugar water. I will look after it rains for some lasius workers

#19 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted July 13 2016 - 7:35 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

If you're feeling overwhelmed, you can let her go after you feed her and let her find her destiny in the wild. Social parasites can be daunting for new and experienced ant keepers alike. :)

----

#20 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted July 13 2016 - 7:40 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

If you have a ruler with cm, Lasius will usually be about 3.5-4mm and Tetramorium will top out at 3mm

----

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users