• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

State College, PA, USA, July 8, 2016

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Works4TheGood - Posted July 8 2016 - 7:17 PM

Works4TheGood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationState College, PA
Location: State College, PA. Found drowning in a suburban swimming pool.
Size: 11mm
See pics for more detail.

I caught 7 of these, all of which had fallen into the pool at night, or very early morning

Pics:
http://www.formicult...587-ant-id-req/
~Dan

#2 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted July 8 2016 - 7:36 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

This is Tetramorium sp. E

#3 Offline Reacker - Posted July 8 2016 - 7:37 PM

Reacker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationFree State of Greater Potatonia

Tetramorium sp. 

I think they used to be called T. caespitum across the US but last I heard a few years ago it was discovered that actually there are a whole bunch of similar looking Tetramorium species in the US that aren't actually the same species for whatever systematics reasons.

Regardless, you can say that you have found some Tetramorium caespitum and everyone will know what you're talking about. 

Edit: Or T. sp. E, though I think there is a complex of species with varying letter names in the US and you're not guaranteed to have the spE version of that complex.

Hopefully someone with more accurate or specific knowledge on this will come and tell me how wrong I am for our mutual benefit. 

Edited by Reacker, July 8 2016 - 7:40 PM.

#4 Offline Works4TheGood - Posted July 8 2016 - 8:39 PM

Works4TheGood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationState College, PA

Great!  Thanks for the quick responses!  Wow!  My first Tetramorium queens!

~Dan

#5 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted July 9 2016 - 5:59 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Tetramorium sp. E is more or less a catchall for the complex of Tetramorium we previously thought to be T. caespitum. There are several Tetramorium species which are morphologically identical, fairly ubiquitous and non-native to North America, but genetically distinct from one another.

Edited by Batspiderfish, July 9 2016 - 6:00 AM.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users