Hello, I recently picked up an interest in ants and was wondering what species this is. Found several nests and collected some workers with peanut butter in an empty water bottle trap. The month of June has recently broke many heat records and the monsoon rains have yet to come to my area.
1. Location of collection: Glendale, Arizona
2. Date of collection: June 27th, 2016
3. Habitat of collection: Empty dirt/gravel lot with some weeds and small mesquite tree, within the city.
4. Length (from head to gaster): 6-8 mm (measured with poor quality ruler)
5. Color, hue, pattern and texture: Mostly black with reddish brown color in the gaster and under the head/mandibles
6. Distinguishing characteristics:
7. Anything else distinctive: Bite and sting
8. Nest description: Wide diameter, short height ring around hole. Wide hole, could see into the first chamber at some angles. lots of workers
[Edit: add more pictures]
Edited by Origional_Username, June 28 2016 - 8:45 AM.