• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Brexit

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 Offline drtrmiller - Posted June 23 2016 - 7:07 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Man oh man.  You guys just shot yourselves in the foot.  Congratulations on your re-independence.

Edited by drtrmiller, June 23 2016 - 7:27 PM.

• Barristan likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#2 Offline Subverted - Posted June 23 2016 - 9:44 PM

Subverted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Maybe they can become a state? ...Or a colony? :lol:

My ants | My free feeder design | PM or email me if you need and 3d printing, cnc machining, or manufacturing done: http://www.lrmachining.com

Make your own mold/fungus/bacteria resistant test tube water! Don't get ripped off! Read my simple guide: http://www.formicult...-simple-how-to/

"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." - Isaac Asimov

#3 Offline CozmoDog - Posted June 23 2016 - 10:16 PM

CozmoDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationGreece, Rhodes
oh my.

#4 Offline JediPeaceFrog - Posted June 24 2016 - 4:29 AM

JediPeaceFrog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationMontana
I say congratulations to Britain on their Brexit vote. A vote of independence & self-determination. The only force I saw supporting Stay was the world establishment political order. Good to see people standing up to the oppression of the new world order.
  • dspdrew likes this

#5 Offline drtrmiller - Posted June 24 2016 - 4:45 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

That's a pretty nebulous reason for leaving.  Of course I can't speak on all the issues, but I do know that globalization isn't going away simply because one country that represents roughly 0.8% of the world population decides they want to isolate themselves, and by doing so, become more dependent on extra-EU allies like the United States.

For me, as a business owner trying to expand to the European market, it makes doing business in both the UK and EU far less accessible.  Under the current system, I can simply export to the UK, which makes my products available to all EU member countries.  However, a post-Brexit UK would likely cede existing trade agreements exclusive to EU members, meaning that I would be required to have separate exports to both the UK and EU.  Given that non-UK EU countries represent about 20-30% or so of my total European sales, it simply makes the cost of exporting goods and doing business in either market a much greater risk.

Given the margin of the referendum, roughly 48/52, I don't see why the Parliamentary representatives shouldn't simply overrule the people's decision, which is non-binding, and signal some sort of compromise with the EU.  Leaving really hurts the UK, EU, US, and global economy.

Edited by drtrmiller, June 24 2016 - 4:46 AM.

• Loops117 likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#6 Offline NightsWebs - Posted June 24 2016 - 7:49 AM

NightsWebs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

Not sure about it hurting UK the British pound is still strong.  EU is still propping up several bankrupt nations.  I think its a very difficult issue but I also think security is an issue.

Current Colonies;

Acromyrmex Versicolor

Dorymyrmex Bicolor

Pogonomyrmex Californicus
Pogonomyrmex Rugosus

Pogonomyrmex Tenuispinus
Novomessor Cockerelli
Myrmecocystus Mexicanus

Last Update: 08 Jul 2016

#7 Offline drtrmiller - Posted June 24 2016 - 7:52 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

EU is still propping up several bankrupt nations.

Just like the US (via rich states like California and New York) is propping up poor states like Mississippi and Louisiana.  Neighbors helping neighbors.

And I don't think losing 10% of your currency value in the world market in just a few hours is a good sign for their economy, either.  Just because of that, France overtook the UK as the world's 5th largest economy.  A country that is never first in anything except the number of cheese courses for dinner—won 5th biggest economy.

Edited by drtrmiller, June 24 2016 - 7:53 AM.

• Gregory2455 likes this

#8 Offline PTAntFan - Posted June 24 2016 - 7:59 AM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA

Yeah, thanks for the stock dip, that's my $.02. (n)

PTAntFan----------------------------------Pogonomyrmex Californicus*****************************<p>I use the $3 Tower I made up. See it here.

#9 Offline Subverted - Posted June 24 2016 - 7:59 AM

Subverted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • LocationSoCal

So what you are saying is France still isn't first at anything? Seems like you just said they are 5th.

I really think the way the rest of Europe has handled the migrant crisis is what lead to the UK leaving and I don't think we can blame them for wanting out. Will it work out for the UK? Only time will tell

My ants | My free feeder design | PM or email me if you need and 3d printing, cnc machining, or manufacturing done: http://www.lrmachining.com

Make your own mold/fungus/bacteria resistant test tube water! Don't get ripped off! Read my simple guide: http://www.formicult...-simple-how-to/

"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." - Isaac Asimov

#10 Offline NightsWebs - Posted June 24 2016 - 9:35 AM

NightsWebs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

Not the responsibility of Britain to prop up Europe or USA to be the world police. 

Current Colonies;

Acromyrmex Versicolor

Dorymyrmex Bicolor

Pogonomyrmex Californicus
Pogonomyrmex Rugosus

Pogonomyrmex Tenuispinus
Novomessor Cockerelli
Myrmecocystus Mexicanus

Last Update: 08 Jul 2016

#11 Offline Vendayn - Posted June 24 2016 - 11:11 AM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Quite a huge defeat to liberals. Its kinda like when eastern romans became their own nation, and sent all the barbarians to the western romans. The barbarians attacked western rome from within, and even in their own roman armies ended up majority helping the other barbarians take it over. Its one reason eastern rome lasted so much longer than the western counterpart. They didn't even have a barbarian problem at all (at least not nearly a problem compared to the western romans), which was the main reason western rome got defeated so easily. Of course western romans were also pretty corrupt, lazy (getting huge free handouts and wanting everything for free without working for it) and heavy barbarian sympathizers. So the barbarian problem wasn't the only issue, but it was a big one

#12 Offline James C. Trager - Posted June 24 2016 - 11:51 AM

James C. Trager

Expert

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Vendayn - Are you saying doling out "panem et circenses" were not enough to keep the Roman economy and empire going? :) 

At this point, I'm not sure the Brexit aftermath will live up to anyone's expectations of it. We shall see. . .

• Reacker, gcsnelling, Subverted and 1 other like this

#13 Offline Subverted - Posted June 24 2016 - 1:23 PM

Subverted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • LocationSoCal

It feels somewhat like this classic loony toons clip:

#14 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 24 2016 - 3:20 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Leaving really hurts the UK, EU, US, and global economy.

Moving out of your parents' house hurts too in some ways, but most all responsible, independent people do it eventually.

#15 Offline drtrmiller - Posted June 24 2016 - 3:32 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
As I've explained, Brexit makes it more difficult to do business in both the UK and Europe, makes commodities and goods like oil, raw materials for manufacturing, American pharmaceuticals--everything--more expensive, makes the UK more dependent on the US military and economy, and will not affect immigration at all, since the UK isn't stupid enough to close it's borders to Europe.

They're an island country. They're not going to produce all the goods they need just because they are "independent." The only thing that will change is that companies will think twice before investing in that market, because they'll have double the paperwork, double the laws, and roughly double the costs of doing business with two distinct governmental entities.

If you're going to use such an inept and ignorant analogy as "UK is to EU as child is to parents," then you really have no place participating in this discussion.

Not sure about it hurting UK the British pound is still strong.

George Soros and others have speculated that it might tumble to 1:1 with the USD by the time the dust settles.

Edited by drtrmiller, June 24 2016 - 4:01 PM.

• Reacker likes this

#16 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 24 2016 - 4:50 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

If you're going to use such an inept and ignorant analogy as "UK is to EU as child is to parents," then you really have no place participating in this discussion.

:lol:

I could sit and list all of the goodies I got when I lived with my parents, but why?. My point still stands. There's a reason they voted the way they did.

#17 Offline Jeoff82 - Posted June 26 2016 - 5:53 AM

Jeoff82

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
I live in the UK and I voted out. Reason I voted out was mainly due to uncontrolled immigrantion. It is a massive burden on our services and a lot of people come to the UK for the benefits system. Try getting a doctors appointment here, I had to call them over 100 times to get my toddler seen. Also the cheap labour means the living wage in some areas is very poor. There are just too many people on this small island and I don't want it turning into a concrete jungle full of houses. We have some really nice green areas and it's a shame they are building houses constantly. The differences in culture and religion also causes problems aswell as some good things. I don't want my sons growing up in a country that resembles the Far East or Eastern Europe. A lot of the immigrants don't speak English and I think the working class has just had enough of it. This country is very very tolorent of most things and it's been taken advantage of in my opinion. Also I am very worried about the amount of Islamic extremists that seem to just walk into this country, security needs to improve starting with basics like border control. I'm glad we are independent again, this country is great and will succeed.

Species kept; Lasius Niger, Flavus, Brunneus, Emarginatus, Umbratus, Formica Fusca, Sanguinea, Rufibarbis, Camponotus Ligniperdus, Myrmica Rubra

#18 Offline drtrmiller - Posted June 26 2016 - 6:10 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

...security needs to improve starting with basics like border control.

There are many misconceptions about how immigration and borders will work if the UK leaves. After all, you've had open borders and freedom of travel among the EU member states for over 2 generations, 40+ years.

I'm interested in hearing how you think things will change should the UK leave?

#19 Offline Jeoff82 - Posted June 26 2016 - 6:23 AM

Jeoff82

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
I am hoping we allow people with the skills the country needs to settle here. People come here with no job, no money, no skills, no intention of working. EU requires freedom of movement, nice idea and works for some countries but not for me.

Species kept; Lasius Niger, Flavus, Brunneus, Emarginatus, Umbratus, Formica Fusca, Sanguinea, Rufibarbis, Camponotus Ligniperdus, Myrmica Rubra

#20 Offline drtrmiller - Posted June 26 2016 - 6:28 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
This video explains what I was talking about earlier:

So what you're saying, is that you think leaving will enable border officials to ask non-Brits for a resumé upon entering the country?

What thoughts do you have about the tens of thousands of Brit expatriates who have established lives and businesses and families outside the UK, as described in the article below?

http://www.apnewsarc...fb2df545812c5b1

Edited by drtrmiller, June 26 2016 - 6:41 AM.

• Barristan likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users