• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Formiculture down for maintenance 6-25-2016

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 23 2016 - 9:49 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

The forum will be completely offline this morning around 7:00 AM PST as we move it to it's new home in Los Angeles, CA. If everything goes as planned, it should be back online by 10:00 AM PST.

Sorry for the short notice.

• Subverted and Batspiderfish like this

#2 Offline Loops117 - Posted June 23 2016 - 10:17 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan

Oooh, niceee. Do you have any nerd stats on the new formiculture home?

#3 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 23 2016 - 10:32 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Maybe I should have said new neighborhood.  :)  I'm physically moving the server. It will be sitting in traffic with me all the way there. Let's hope I don't get carjacked. :lol:

• Subverted likes this

#4 Offline Loops117 - Posted June 23 2016 - 11:10 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Oh dang. lol. Well, i have replacements if anything goes wrong. Any brand and model server you'll need. As for the change in neighborhood, what made you change? You don't have to answer that, just wondering. Closer to a pipeline? Moving from home to a data center? I'm interested.

#5 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 23 2016 - 1:01 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Yeah, while my closet here in a lower middle class apartment complex has actually been way more stable than the server room at an investment bank that it used to be housed in, it's costing way more than it needs to. It's going to an actual data center (http://www.coresite....es/one-wilshire) where it will be more secure, and a lot cheaper to run.

#6 Offline Subverted - Posted June 23 2016 - 1:39 PM

Subverted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Hopefully the freeways clear up before you head out. Might be worth watching sigalert.com for when traffic starts to break up.

Good luck with the move - lets all hope it goes smoothly :)

My ants | My free feeder design | PM or email me if you need and 3d printing, cnc machining, or manufacturing done: http://www.lrmachining.com

Make your own mold/fungus/bacteria resistant test tube water! Don't get ripped off! Read my simple guide: http://www.formicult...-simple-how-to/

"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." - Isaac Asimov

#7 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 23 2016 - 1:51 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

It's going to be so much quieter in my ant room.

#8 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 23 2016 - 6:40 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

This has to be postponed for another day.

#9 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 23 2016 - 8:06 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

If anyone knows where in Southern California I could get some rails for any of the following servers, then I'd be able to get this done.

DL140 G3

DL145 G2

DL320 G3

DL360 G4, G5, G6, or G7

DL365 G2, G5, G6 or G7

#10 Offline drtrmiller - Posted June 23 2016 - 8:31 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
I hear Ruby knows a thing or two about rails.
  • MrmrGatlin likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#11 Offline Loops117 - Posted June 24 2016 - 3:56 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts

We have complete rail kits that'll fit for $19.99+shipping. Just sayin.

#12 Offline MrmrGatlin - Posted June 24 2016 - 5:28 AM

MrmrGatlin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationFort myers FL

I hear Ruby knows a thing or two about rails.

If this was a RoR pun, well played sir  :lol:

• Loops117 likes this
Current Species-------------------------
Brachymyrmex Patagonicus [First workers]
Pheidole Floridana [R.I.P. :'( ]
Odontomachus Brunneus [Founding]

#13 Offline NightsWebs - Posted June 24 2016 - 7:42 AM

NightsWebs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

Drew, I no longer may visit you at your apartment since the heat and hum of your servers was the true ambiance of modern living.  I am sorry.....

• Subverted likes this

Current Colonies;

Acromyrmex Versicolor

Dorymyrmex Bicolor

Pogonomyrmex Californicus
Pogonomyrmex Rugosus

Pogonomyrmex Tenuispinus
Novomessor Cockerelli
Myrmecocystus Mexicanus

Last Update: 08 Jul 2016

#14 Offline Foogoo - Posted June 24 2016 - 7:45 AM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

What's the advantage of running your own servers vs. using AWS or something similar? You should post some pics of of the setup once it's done being moved!

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#15 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 24 2016 - 1:09 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Drew, I no longer may visit you at your apartment since the heat and hum of your servers was the true ambiance of modern living.  I am sorry.....

Haha, I still have a massive 5U server here for my personal needs. As for a public-facing server, a closet is not the best place for it.

What's the advantage of running your own servers vs. using AWS or something similar?

Control and options. Capabilities.

It's like asking what is the advantage to owning your own vehicle as opposed to just using public transportation.

Also I administer servers professionally, so paying to have something done that I do for a living doesn't make much sense.

I posted a picture of it before somewhere, but here it is again... in my closet. :lol:

servers-santa-ana-1-15-2016-1.jpg

It's the little 1U server right in the middle. It's not really anything special, and I wouldn't be able to get pictures of it once it's in the data center. Pictures are never allowed in those places.

#16 Offline Loops117 - Posted June 24 2016 - 2:59 PM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts

You service servers for a living?

#17 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 24 2016 - 4:35 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I don't service them, I do remote work--helpdesk/network aministration.

#18 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 24 2016 - 11:17 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

The forum will be completely offline this morning around 7:00 AM PST as we move it to it's new home in Los Angeles, CA. If everything goes as planned, it should be back online by 10:00 AM PST.

Sorry for the short notice.

• Subverted likes this

#19 Offline Subverted - Posted June 25 2016 - 10:02 AM

Subverted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Hey hey! It works!

My ants | My free feeder design | PM or email me if you need and 3d printing, cnc machining, or manufacturing done: http://www.lrmachining.com

Make your own mold/fungus/bacteria resistant test tube water! Don't get ripped off! Read my simple guide: http://www.formicult...-simple-how-to/

"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." - Isaac Asimov

#20 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 25 2016 - 2:54 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

What a hassle that was.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users