• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Compressed coconut fiber as substrate

coconut substrate fiber tunneling digging

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline DustyDoes - Posted June 14 2016 - 7:50 AM

DustyDoes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationVan Nuys, CA

Can blocks of compressed coconut fiber be used safely as a tunneling medium for ants in a formicarium? In the discussions I've seen regarding tunneling media, the criteria for ideal habitats seem to be ability to keep humidity, mitigating risk of cave-ins, and resistance to mold and fungus, and it has to be harmless for the ants. I use coconut husk as a substrate in my ball python's tank and remembered seeing actual blocks of the stuff in the pet store that I think could be cut pretty easily into slabs to place between panes of glass to allow tunneling without any risk of cave-ins. 

https://images-na.ss..._SR306,320_.jpg

#2 Offline drtrmiller - Posted June 14 2016 - 9:19 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

It may work in combination with loose media, but isn't sufficient on its own because it doesn't hold or absorb moisture very well.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#3 Offline Loops117 - Posted June 14 2016 - 10:28 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan

If you're looking to see through the sides, then go with something else. The micro fibers will gunk up the glass, and only get harder to remove every time it dries out.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: coconut, substrate, fiber, tunneling, digging

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users