• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Questions?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Okeedoke22 - Posted May 30 2016 - 2:52 PM

Okeedoke22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationNew York City
Sorry guys for all the questions. You guys are awesome and have really helped.

One thing I am worried about is when setting up a test tube can you possibly pack in cotton too much? Wondering if I put too big of a wad no air will get through?

So I really was hoping to catch a bunch of Camponotus. Seams harder to find since they neat in wood. I keep peeling back bark but I feel like I always find full colonies and I feel bad cause I ruin their homes. Is there a easier way to find Camponotus?

Prenolepis Imparis

Tetramorium Sp. E

Crematogaster
Brachymyrmex Sp.

Lasius Claviger 

#2 Offline Runner12 - Posted May 30 2016 - 3:55 PM

Runner12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Peeling back bark is the best way, as well as looking under rocks. Will usually find plenty of new Queens this way. You probably aren't ruining their nests, they go way down into the log or tree itself usually. There will be more as the season goes on, it's a little early still

As far as cotton I just use a single cotton ball about half in half out of the tube to close it

#3 Offline Okeedoke22 - Posted May 30 2016 - 6:06 PM

Okeedoke22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Peeling back bark is the best way, as well as looking under rocks. Will usually find plenty of new Queens this way. You probably aren't ruining their nests, they go way down into the log or tree itself usually. There will be more as the season goes on, it's a little early still
As far as cotton I just use a single cotton ball about half in half out of the tube to close it

Awesome. I have been ripping cotton in half. I will do it your way from now on.

Thank you

Prenolepis Imparis

Tetramorium Sp. E

Crematogaster
Brachymyrmex Sp.

Lasius Claviger 

#4 Offline Kingjay - Posted June 1 2016 - 2:31 PM

Kingjay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationCharlotte,nc
Can you still find queen ants even when it's not there nuptial flights.

#5 Offline Okeedoke22 - Posted June 1 2016 - 8:48 PM

Okeedoke22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Can you still find queen ants even when it's not there nuptial flights.

Hey. I'm totally new to this also but you can definitely find queens even if they are not flying. Lift up lots of rocks. Good thing is it's a great time to start. There will be lots of nuptial flights happening over the next 4-5 months. Best advise is always have containers to catch them. Good luck!

Prenolepis Imparis

Tetramorium Sp. E

Crematogaster
Brachymyrmex Sp.

Lasius Claviger 

#6 Offline Loops117 - Posted June 2 2016 - 11:57 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan

So I really was hoping to catch a bunch of Camponotus. Seams harder to find since they neat in wood. I keep peeling back bark but I feel like I always find full colonies and I feel bad cause I ruin their homes. Is there a easier way to find Camponotus?

If you do this, try your best to catch the queen first. Also, don't worry about it too much. These ants are really good at packing up and leaving at any moment. Not to mention, Camponotus are known for satellite nests. You may be coming across these if you don't see a queen, which are quick to move as well.

Edit: idk if this goes for all Camponotus species. Just what i've read and seen.

Edited by Loops117, June 2 2016 - 12:00 PM.

#7 Offline Kwitzats - Posted June 10 2016 - 7:10 AM

Kwitzats

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationCentral Texas
Live oak, i have yet to find a Camponotus in pine. Anyone else see this as the norm?

IMHO of course.

#8 Offline Loops117 - Posted June 10 2016 - 7:45 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan

Live oak, i have yet to find a Camponotus in pine. Anyone else see this as the norm?

7 of my 9 C.pennsylvanicus queens came from dead oak logs, not even a chamber in pine. 

Edited by Loops117, June 10 2016 - 7:46 AM.

#9 Offline Runner12 - Posted June 10 2016 - 9:53 AM

Runner12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
I've found C. chromaiodes in pine logs many times

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users