• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Using clay to get sand to retain moisture

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Runner12 - Posted June 26 2016 - 6:42 PM

Runner12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
I've noticed a couple people mention that they mix clay with their sand to improve water retention and structural stability. Just wondering what people are using and where to buy it?

I've heard of bentonite being used but I don't know where to get it.

#2 Offline Foogoo - Posted June 26 2016 - 8:05 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

I think dspdrew did something similar right? Bentonite is a fat clay (kitty litter) and although I haven't tried, I wouldn't recommend it as it will expand (then shrink when dry) and become rock hard. I just use "dirt" around the neighborhood after screening and baking it to sterilize it. Most residential fills are a mixture of sand/silt/clay (though not all) and that's worked fine in my dirt boxes.

Get a large pinch of dirt and add a few drops of water and massage it around. What's loose and runs off is sand/silt. What remains on your skin is fine sand/silt. What clumps together and can be rolled into a ball is clay. 

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#3 Offline Runner12 - Posted June 26 2016 - 8:10 PM

Runner12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Yeah I've read of a couple people using powdered clay to mix with sand, or just dirt and having decent results.

The only dirt around here is ugly red stuff that smears all over the glass even if only a little is mixed in, I'm looking for something that's functional in terms of hydration and a bit more aesthetically pleasing I guess lol.

#4 Offline Foogoo - Posted June 26 2016 - 9:07 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Yeah I've read of a couple people using powdered clay to mix with sand, or just dirt and having decent results.

The only dirt around here is ugly red stuff that smears all over the glass even if only a little is mixed in, I'm looking for something that's functional in terms of hydration and a bit more aesthetically pleasing I guess lol.

Ah, I guess I happen to have it good for once for living in an urban area that's almost all structural fill. I can't comment on mixing bentonite since I haven't tried. If you do, I'd make sure to grind it up it pretty fine first. Looks like you can get it on Amazon, though most cheap kitty litters or floor absorbent is pure bentonite.

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users