• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Valparaiso IN on 5/25/16

id request

Best Answer Runner12 , May 25 2016 - 8:45 PM

Looks like Camponotus nearcticus Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline WingedD20 - Posted May 25 2016 - 8:33 PM

WingedD20

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

I found her under the lid of my garbage can on my front porch in the town of Valparaiso IN in a light residential area (Grassy yards trees and parks) on 5/25/16. She is about 6/16th of an inch (9 mm) give or take. She is Shiny black with a brownish color to the legs. I can't seem to see the waist part of her but I think I see one Petoile node? It is hard to tell with the last pair of legs in the way. I'm seeing 3 segmenting plates on her gaster and no stinger. I found her pulling at the cotton at around 8 or 9 pm so she may be active at night more so then in the day? I'm not sure on this though considering my observations so far are from 6am or so when she dropped out from under the lid of my outside trashcan and this evening when I went and checked on her and put together this post.

Thank you for your help.

Attached Images

• DSCF0354.JPG
  • DSCF0368.JPG

Edited by WingedD20, May 25 2016 - 8:33 PM.

#2 Offline Runner12 - Posted May 25 2016 - 8:45 PM   Best Answer

Runner12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Looks like Camponotus nearcticus

#3 Offline WingedD20 - Posted May 25 2016 - 8:55 PM

WingedD20

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

It does. Do you think it's a queen? So I think I have my first queen.

Edited by WingedD20, May 25 2016 - 9:01 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: id request

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users