• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Help needed id'ing queen...

Best Answer James C. Trager , May 25 2016 - 9:17 AM

Formica obscuripes is the only one likely to be found flying this early in the season.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline JediPeaceFrog - Posted May 24 2016 - 4:15 PM

JediPeaceFrog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationMontana
I need some help. Firstly, I'm so sorry...I only have an iPod, so my pics will suck. I'll try the opposite way. I live in western Montana, just south of Missoula,..we have Formica, Camponotus, and lasius species. I'm pretty sure I've found a lasius Queen...could somebody post some pics of some lasius queens they have? And yes, I've already surfed the web, but I still can't really tell. Hopefully I'll have access to a good camera in a few days. She still has wings. Anyway, thanks and sorry for the bass-ackward way I'm doing this.

#2 Offline JediPeaceFrog - Posted May 24 2016 - 4:43 PM

JediPeaceFrog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationMontana
Smaller queen, not Camponotus, for sure. Head: bronze or rust colored. Gaster: dark brown, blackish. I'm without my magnifying glass, so can't tell how many petiole, also wings obstructing view. Best pic I can offer right now. Thanks.

Attached Images

• image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg

#3 Offline Runner12 - Posted May 24 2016 - 4:49 PM

Runner12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Looks like some sort of Formica at least from the silhouette.
  • AntTeen804 likes this

#4 Offline JediPeaceFrog - Posted May 24 2016 - 7:47 PM

JediPeaceFrog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationMontana
Yeah, I'm leaning that way too. I realized that it's not lasius. Considering where I'm at, I'd say Formica. In Montana 90% of species are Formica. Can't find an extensive list of flight months for Formica found here in Montana. https://www.antweb.o...dm1Name=Montana
I'll hopefully have better pics by tomorrow. Thanks all.

#5 Offline James C. Trager - Posted May 25 2016 - 9:17 AM   Best Answer

James C. Trager

Expert

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Formica obscuripes is the only one likely to be found flying this early in the season.

#6 Offline JediPeaceFrog - Posted May 25 2016 - 4:41 PM

JediPeaceFrog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationMontana

Yes, that's what it was. I had it identified last night. Figures only queen I've found so far is Formica. Thanks for the help!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users