• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Available Now for only $0.01! byFormica Bug Box - Easily keep bugs from being dragged into the nest

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
38 replies to this topic

#1 Offline drtrmiller - Posted May 16 2016 - 2:45 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
I've decided to give the original version of these Bug Boxes away to byFormica customers for only $0.01 plus the cost of shipping.

Offer details:

• Offer available for customers with US shipping addresses only
  • Customers will receive (1) bug box for every $15 spent on byFormica products on Amazon between Nov 1, 2016 and Dec 31, 2016, while supplies last
  • Leave a note in your PayPal order containing your Amazon order number(s) and date(s) of purchase, so I may confirm your eligibility. You will receive an email asking for this information if it is not included in your PayPal transaction.
  • Your order will ship with tracking information within 1-2 business days after your eligibility has been confirmed
Price: $0.01
+ $2.68 shipping
paypal-button-300x160.jpg

OLDER:

So, I'm contemplating manufacturing a number of these little things. They are a plastic pedestal with two, heavy-duty pins on which users may mount a dead insect.

Smaller ants will frequently drag an insect into a nest, and I find especially with vertical nests, the remains can sometimes be difficult or impossible for the ants to successfully remove.

I could bundle a couple of the Bug Stakes with a small sample bottle of Sunburst Ant Nectar and some sturdy metal forceps for manipulating the bugs onto the pins. Does this sound like something anyone here would be interested in buying? Do you think such a product is necessary?

With the Bug Stake, it is still possible for ants to drag dismembered body parts into the nest. They simply must disassemble the insect substantially beforehand, making it much easier for them to remove the smaller pieces from the nest later.

Edited by drtrmiller, November 26 2016 - 6:22 AM.

• Gregory2455 and Bcam43 like this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#2 Offline Rattus - Posted May 16 2016 - 3:38 AM

Rattus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationDanmark

Looks interesting, I see it more useful if the ants have a really large insect compared to their and colony size.

Also, if the insect is sized enough, my ants tend to eat it all, and they dump only the carcass/shell, they eat the meat completely off it.

Will it be universal or size-adjustable? What if a large number of ants cut it and drag it anyway - I guess that couldn't be prevented?

What about some kind of plate with a lid that has adjustable holes?

Edited by Rattus, May 16 2016 - 3:39 AM.

#3 Offline drtrmiller - Posted May 16 2016 - 3:41 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

That may be an even better idea. Maybe I'll go with something like that.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#4 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted May 16 2016 - 3:55 AM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

looks like an awesome idea for a product, but sadly i am flat broke right now and can't afford anything... to be honest, if you were to sell compact and easy to use 3D printed feeding dishes, people would defiantly buy them.

#5 Offline Okeedoke22 - Posted May 16 2016 - 5:39 AM

Okeedoke22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationNew York City

I would definitely buy this.  Not sure if its a stand alone product or maybe you group it in with Fluon and some type of liquid feeder. 

Prenolepis Imparis

Tetramorium Sp. E

Crematogaster
Brachymyrmex Sp.

Lasius Claviger 

#6 Offline Chall - Posted May 16 2016 - 11:44 AM

Chall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, BayArea
I'd buy it

#7 Offline Loops117 - Posted May 16 2016 - 11:53 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan

Sounds like an excellent idea. I'd def do this with my larger dubia roaches to keep in one location rather then broken up and dragged around the outworld by the ants. Seems like having a box or pin plate would help keep everything clean and maintained.

I would definitely buy this.  Not sure if its a stand alone product or maybe you group it in with Fluon and some type of liquid feeder. 

I agree with this. Pair it with a liquid feeder and i think you would have gold. 

Edited by Loops117, May 16 2016 - 11:54 AM.

• AntTeen804 and LC3 like this

#8 Offline AntTeen804 - Posted May 16 2016 - 12:11 PM

AntTeen804

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Perfect idea.

If you ain't got a dream, you ain't got nothing.

#9 Offline drtrmiller - Posted May 26 2016 - 9:16 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Will it be universal or size-adjustable? What if a large number of ants cut it and drag it anyway - I guess that couldn't be prevented?

If ants are able to break down the insect, then that would still eliminate the problem where they haul a large carcass into a vertical nest, only to be unable to remove it after they're finished eating parts of it.

As for your other suggestion—I actually had a crude version of a covered food plate that ants could enter, that I previously used to keep Formula Blue 100 gel from drying out as quickly.  However, your suggestion prompted me to revisit the idea and determine whether it may be relevant here.

Here is what I came up with:

The feeding platform consists of two parts—a small clear box on top, that fits onto the platform.  The platform has 4 entrance/exit holes that limit the size of the pieces that may be carried out, and also a small cradle in the center for a drop or two of Sunburst Ant Nectar, or the upcoming DewDrop semi-liquid product.

One of the challenges to this design, is the fact that ants are quite wary of exploring new holes.  I previously designed a larger, elliptical entrance, only to find that ants would simply walk along the perimeter, never entering the hole.  I waited nearly an hour, watching as hundreds of ants did this, never breaching the hole.

So I redesigned the hole, and the ants found it in seconds.  Below is a funny clip of my Pheidole freaking out after discovering the bug in the box.  They go absolutely berserk, erratically running around like a bouncy ball let loose in a small bathroom.

Edited by drtrmiller, May 26 2016 - 9:18 AM.

• kellakk likes this

#10 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 26 2016 - 6:17 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

The only thing I would be worried about, is the ants turning it into a satellite nest. Maybe it should be made with mostly mesh to keep that from happening.

#11 Offline Tpro4 - Posted May 27 2016 - 7:36 AM

Tpro4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationNorth Hills, CA

I like your design for these things, where did you buy those, and if you start selling your model of it, I would buy one or maybe two, depending on how many large colonies I have.

Remember Dragon Warrior, anything is possible when you have inner peace. - Master Shifu

Current Queens:
1 Unknown Pogomyemex
1 Solenopsis Xyloni

#12 Offline PTAntFan - Posted May 27 2016 - 8:49 AM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA

I'm with Drew in that I can see the ants just hanging out in there long past the point the where to food source needs to be removed.

PTAntFan----------------------------------Pogonomyrmex Californicus*****************************<p>I use the $3 Tower I made up. See it here.

#13 Offline drtrmiller - Posted May 27 2016 - 9:14 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

It's fine to speculate, but predicting how ants will interact with an object is usually just a guessing game.

What I have observed, is that the ants will remain in the box until the food is exhausted, which is a reasonable expectation.  The rate of interaction with the box will continue to decrease over 1-2 days, after which point there will only be one or two ants interacting with the box.

Any foraging area that is overcrowded with hungry ants at all times will have unique challenges related to removing interactive objects placed within the arena.  I generally submerge liquid feeders and other things in scalding hot water to instantly kill the hordes of angry ants that are covering the object.

I look forward to manufacturing both the Pin and Box versions, and packaging them as a kit with some other items, for people to make their own judgment about the merits or limitations of each, and what improvements may be needed.

Edited by drtrmiller, May 27 2016 - 9:24 AM.

#14 Offline PTAntFan - Posted May 27 2016 - 11:08 AM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA

I wasn't speculating.  In my observations of S. Xyloni they take up in enclosures for extended periods of time.  An open enclosure is easier to encourage them to clear so I can remove the feeding apparatus.  Bug Stakes for me, please.

PTAntFan----------------------------------Pogonomyrmex Californicus*****************************<p>I use the $3 Tower I made up. See it here.

#15 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted May 27 2016 - 4:24 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

currently, i a very interested in the bug box and can't wait to get get more up dates on that as well as the dew drop!!! do you know roughly when these products will come out and roughly how much they would cost? Btw, the Glass box outworlds have very few flat surfaces within them, so how would you go about creating a bug box that is not prone to tipping? 

#16 Offline drtrmiller - Posted May 27 2016 - 4:51 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
Ended

Edited by drtrmiller, November 24 2016 - 3:06 PM.

#17 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted May 27 2016 - 6:36 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

just voted!!! I can really use some accessories. good luck guys!!!

#18 Offline yen_saw - Posted May 30 2016 - 7:12 AM

yen_saw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationHouston

I would just cut the food into pieces before giving it to the colony. For me that's another item for me to clean, especially when the unwanted food turn moldy. Drop pieces of food on aluminium foil and throw it away when it is done.

#19 Offline NightsWebs - Posted May 30 2016 - 8:44 AM

NightsWebs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

I actually like the pinned insect better than the covered box.  However, I occasionally use blue and having something that would keep the food moist longer would be great.  I think to prevent the ants from staying in the "food box" have a removable lid which would deter nesting as its completely open air. Just some thoughts.  The mesh idea is excellent as well but food is sometimes difficult to get out of mesh.  I think a bundle deal would be best way to sell this instead of a standalone but offering both would be excellent. 

Current Colonies;

Acromyrmex Versicolor

Dorymyrmex Bicolor

Pogonomyrmex Californicus
Pogonomyrmex Rugosus

Pogonomyrmex Tenuispinus
Novomessor Cockerelli
Myrmecocystus Mexicanus

Last Update: 08 Jul 2016

#20 Offline drtrmiller - Posted June 2 2016 - 3:57 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
Thanks to everyone for taking the time to vote on a product configuration.

The three winners to receive a complete kit are as follows:
Kellach77
Christopher Lum
Jedipeacefrog

I'll contact these individuals through Formiculture messages shortly to arrange the disbursement.
  • Bcam43 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users