• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Lasius neoniger

lasius neoniger lasius

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Tetramorium - Posted May 10 2016 - 9:47 PM

Tetramorium

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Are Lasius neoniger colonies mostly located on the surface or are they pretty deep? I look forward to hearing the community's thoughts. 

#2 Offline Mads - Posted May 11 2016 - 5:30 AM

Mads

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationInnisfail, Alberta, Canada

You are better off to wait for the mating flights to get a queen. Digging up an established colony of neoniger, or any Lasius really for that matter, is rather difficult. The queens rarely hang out near the surface, they tend to stay deep. Finding one after a flight is really easy, in fact, you can't really miss them. Last year, for example, my son and I found a few dozen in a few minutes, they were everywhere. They seem to just have one huge flight every year, rather than a number of them spread out over a period of time.

Mads

#3 Offline Crystals - Posted May 11 2016 - 8:35 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

After the first 20 workers eclose, they dig deep and dig fast.  I occasionally find a founding queen, sometimes with 3-5 workers, but after that they dig deep.

I tried digging up a few small colonies in a gravel pit before the machinery started rolling, and I was not successful with any of the Lasius colonies.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#4 Offline Tetramorium - Posted May 11 2016 - 7:20 PM

Tetramorium

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationUnited States

I simply need to obtain some brood for my parasitic Lasius umbratus queen. Do you think this is possible? 

#5 Offline Mads - Posted May 11 2016 - 7:26 PM

Mads

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationInnisfail, Alberta, Canada

That should be quite simple, just flip over rocks or boards laying on the ground, they generally have some brood there warming up. Finding the queen is the difficult part, finding some brood is usually no issue at all.

Mads

• LC3 likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lasius neoniger, lasius

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users