• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Introducing Lasius neoniger workers to a Lasius umbratus (parasitic) queen

lasius neoniger lasius umbratus lasius

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Tetramorium - Posted May 9 2016 - 6:46 PM

Tetramorium

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationUnited States

I currently have a Lasius umbratus queen and recently captured a few Lasisus neoniger workers. I would appreciate any advice on how to best introduce Lasius neoniger workers to a Lasius umbratus queen. I recently tried to cool several Lasius neoniger workers and a Lasius umbratus queen in the same formicarium for one hour. After removing the formicarium, however, I found a Lasius neoniger worker attached to a leg of the Lasius umbratus queen (with its jaws). One individual suggested that I cool the Lasius neoniger workers for one week and then try introducing the Lasius umbratus queen to the colony. If I use this suggestion, should I also hibernate the Lasius umbratus queen? I would appreciate any advice. Thank you!

#2 Offline Mads - Posted May 9 2016 - 7:14 PM

Mads

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationInnisfail, Alberta, Canada

It would be a much better option to introduce some neoniger brood to the queen rather than neoniger workers. The queen will care for the brood and once these workers emerge they will consider the umbratus queen to be their mother.

Mads

#3 Offline Mdrogun - Posted May 9 2016 - 7:41 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

A strategy that seems to work the best is to keep both the queen and workers in hibernation for a week or longer. Then, without raising the temperature put the workers in the Lasius umbratus queen's test tube. Let them hibernate for another week-month. The longer you hibernate them in there the more likely the introduction is going to work. Good luck!

Edited by Mdrogun, May 9 2016 - 7:41 PM.

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#4 Offline Tetramorium - Posted May 12 2016 - 8:05 PM

Tetramorium

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationUnited States

I was actually able to find some Lasius sp. brood today and introduced them to one of the Lasius umbratus queens who didn't seem interested in them. What are your thoughts? Should I hibernate this queen with the pupae?

• AntTeen804 likes this

#5 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted June 2 2016 - 3:45 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Lasius umbratus queens taking care of brood without host workers is not exactly commonplace. I have seen L. umbratus clean a larva or two after she had a host colony, but I only ever hear that they will fail to open the cocoons enclosing pupae. I have filmed Lasius subumbratus opening a cocoon of her host species, but she, too, had workers already that might have helped spur the behavior.

The best, risk-free way to introduce workers is to put a few Lasius host workers in a test tube with a few pupae. After the older workers help a pupa eclose, carefully remove the pale, young ant with a toothpick or brush and give them to the parasitic queen. Callow workers, much like brood, do not have colony allegiance and will imprint on the queen as if she were their own. Slightly more brood in varying stages can be added later, left to the care of the host workers and whatever the queen will offer. This does not need to be done under refrigeration.

• dspdrew and drtrmiller like this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lasius neoniger, lasius umbratus, lasius

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users