• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dspdrew's Camponotus vicinus Journal [145] (Updated 12-4-2023)

dspdrew journal camponotus vicinus

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#21 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 7 2014 - 5:05 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

All of those problems are currently being solved. :clever:

#22 Offline Anhzor - Posted October 15 2014 - 1:11 PM

Anhzor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

I would suggest you hibernate them, I put mine in the fridge after she stop laying eggs.

#23 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 15 2014 - 1:56 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I've been thinking about it. Since I'm keeping a few of the other yet-to-be-identified Camponotus we found in the same places, I'm going to hibernate a couple of them. I only have one C. vicinus colony now though. I guess I'm just not used to hibernating my ants, and I feel like something bad will happen. :lol:

#24 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted October 15 2014 - 2:01 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
That is probably why our Lasius have not started laying eggs, they may be waiting for after hibernation.

#25 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 15 2014 - 2:53 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Well yeah, the Lasius no doubt. Those have to be hibernated.

#26 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 4 2014 - 7:10 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 11-4-2014

The colony with one worker died. The other colony is still doing fine, and was put in the fridge for hibernation the other day. Chromerust gave me another all-black C. vicinus queen with just a few cocoons, and no workers. He was tired of taking care of it, so I gladly took it. If and when its workers eclose, I will also put it in the fridge for hibernation.

#27 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted November 5 2014 - 3:40 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

Drew, I looked through this journal and found something about how to catch a nuptial flight basicly, I would like for to explain more in depth, because I have missed a lot of flights. Can't they fly like the day after it rains?

#28 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 6 2014 - 9:13 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
This (https://www.formicul...or-when-anting/) should tell you everything you need to know. I wrote quite a bit in my post. Most of the info in that thread pertains to the Southwest, but there should still be quite a bit of relevant information in there for you. I thought I made this a sticky thread, but I guess not. It is now. :) You might also want to check out the Mating Chart (https://www.formicul...t-mating-chart/), as it has information on when the species fly. This would have answered your other question about when S. molesta flies.

#29 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 22 2014 - 2:47 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 11-22-2014

The last workerless C. vicinus being kept in a test tube died. Yesterday I put the all-black C. vicinus that Chromerust gave me in the fridge for hibernation.

#30 Offline Foogoo - Posted November 22 2014 - 7:23 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Update 11-22-2014

The last workerless C. vicinus being kept in a test tube died. Yesterday I put the all-black C. vicinus that Chromerust gave me in the fridge for hibernation.

It seems like a lot of your Camponotus died very recently, or did you just happen to update all your Camponotus journals at once? Do you think it could be related to anything?

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#31 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 22 2014 - 7:29 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Nah it was just coincidence. The two without workers were sure to die eventually; they didn't seem very healthy, and once they lose all their workers and stop producing, that's usually what happens next. The C. fragilis was just one of those mystery deaths, clearly not having anything to do with it's environment, or workers would probably have been affected. I have queens dying all the time when I have large quantities of them. I usually only mention it when it's more significant, like the last one or something.

• SanBernardino909 likes this

#32 Offline dspdrew - Posted December 7 2014 - 8:04 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 12-7-2014

The all-black C. vicinus died while hibernating in my fridge.

#33 Offline Foogoo - Posted December 8 2014 - 2:34 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Update 12-7-2014

The all-black C. vicinus died while hibernating in my fridge.

I lost track, so what C. vicinus do you have left?

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#34 Offline dspdrew - Posted December 8 2014 - 4:22 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I have one typical C. vicinus left in a foraging container and they're in my fridge.

#35 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 16 2015 - 12:58 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 1-16-2015

I just took this colony out of hibernation today. They all look healthy, and have a nice pile of all different sized larvae.

#36 Offline dspdrew - Posted February 27 2015 - 11:16 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 2-27-2015

Since this colony's brood don't seem to be developing at all, so I put them back in the fridge to hibernate longer.

#37 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 17 2015 - 5:17 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 3-17-2015

It was now been a total of over three months in hibernation for this colony, so I took them out of the fridge today. The colony looks to be healthy still. Hopefully some of their brood will develop now or the queen will lay some more eggs.

#38 Offline Foogoo - Posted March 17 2015 - 7:38 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Got any recent pics? I'm fascinated by these guys!

• AntTeen804 likes this

#39 Offline AntTeen804 - Posted May 20 2015 - 8:08 PM

AntTeen804

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationVirginia
How are they doing?

If you ain't got a dream, you ain't got nothing.

#40 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 31 2015 - 6:38 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 5-31-2015

The colony is not doing that great. They haven't really changed much at all since taking them out of hibernation. I think they might have lost a worker or two. Today I boosted them with a whole bunch of black C. vicinus brood, which they very enthusiastically accepted and took inside their tube.

Thursday in Mt. Baldy, California, I found another red-and-black C. vicinus queen wandering around.

Yesterday in Angelus Oaks, which is near Big Bear, California, I found four more red-and-black C. vicinus queens, and 11 all-black queens. Some of them were found under small rotted logs and rocks, and some were found wandering around. One of the black ones still has its wings.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dspdrew, journal, camponotus vicinus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users