• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Workerless Queen

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Kwitzats - Posted May 12 2016 - 5:44 PM

Kwitzats

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationCentral Texas
OK I have this Camponotus queen from a small but established colony and I didn't catch very many workers nor thought about older brood. The workers I got all died and now she has a pile of eggs but doesn't do much and doesn't seem to be collecting them. Apart from finding a hopefully same species nest to worker boost, is there anything I can do?

IMHO of course.

#2 Offline Kwitzats - Posted May 16 2016 - 6:10 PM

Kwitzats

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationCentral Texas

should i feed her? She has started to become more active and explores the outworld at night and has gathered up a few eggs but still has others scattered all about.

Edited by Kwitzats, May 16 2016 - 6:12 PM.

IMHO of course.

#3 Offline Tpro4 - Posted May 16 2016 - 6:12 PM

Tpro4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationNorth Hills, CA
yes you should, but i suggest dead insects for protein or honey as a sugar source
  • Kwitzats likes this
Remember Dragon Warrior, anything is possible when you have inner peace. - Master Shifu

Current Queens:
1 Unknown Pogomyemex
1 Solenopsis Xyloni

#4 Offline Kwitzats - Posted May 16 2016 - 6:14 PM

Kwitzats

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationCentral Texas

also one of the dead workers sprouted fungus but i can't get it out,

IMHO of course.

#5 Offline Tpro4 - Posted May 16 2016 - 6:17 PM

Tpro4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationNorth Hills, CA
you definitely need to get that worker out asap
  • LC3 likes this
Remember Dragon Warrior, anything is possible when you have inner peace. - Master Shifu

Current Queens:
1 Unknown Pogomyemex
1 Solenopsis Xyloni

#6 Offline Kwitzats - Posted May 16 2016 - 6:34 PM

Kwitzats

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationCentral Texas

it is nie impossible. it is a container grout setup. maybe that is was why the workers died and she may be doomed but she seems ok so far, she was lethargic for a few days.

IMHO of course.

#7 Offline Kwitzats - Posted June 3 2016 - 5:59 PM

Kwitzats

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationCentral Texas
Well she is doing well, feeding on honey water and fruit juices. She is way more active now. I tried to brood boost with some sansabeanus and a minor worker. She tries to steal the brood sometimes and has eaten a few but those two steer clear of one another. She is not laying anymore so i don't know what else to try. Any suggestions?

IMHO of course.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users